Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Oblivious

He drops his half-empty cup on the coffee shop floor.
He seems oblivious of the mess he made.
He doesn’t really think it’s a mess to begin with.
Just part of a life that’s less than eighty years short.

He calls every lover his beautiful one.
He calls them up and sweet-talks ‘til the day is gone.
He’s got a whole network of consistent lies.
When the night comes, he’s the luckiest one.
He thinks, “I don’t care if God is Love is Blind.
I just know that my feelings are honest and I’ll take whatever I find.”

Break no hearts. He’s alone even when he’s not.

She sneaks into the room while smiling in the dark.
She nearly knocks over her large figurine shelf.
She washes herself up and cries while the water drowns her tears.
It’s a routine she’s gotten used to for almost two years.

She doesn’t speak to her spouse that much anymore.
But she needs him to feel reassured.
She feels protected and lovely but yes, a little bored.
She thinks, “I love you even when I’m loving him too.
I just have a big heart and I know that Life is a Beach and it’s Short.”

Break no hearts. She’s alone even when she’s not.

We wanted to share secrets, and in time we did.
Sorry tales of broken hearts, our own and old flames’.
We felt a spark and we never held back.
We made new secrets and called each other new names.
We’re guilty but we’re not heartless. So we reassure each other:
“We’re friends. More than that sometimes. Our Time is Gold is Up.
But we’re together even when we’re alone.”
And we smiled when you slipped on a discarded coffee cup.

No comments: