Wednesday, May 18, 2005

World-hopping

Rianne sent me this movie meme.

Total number of films I own on DVD/video: I own so few. Roughly less than 20. Maybe because I’d rather watch them on cable. The really good ones, or the ones that mean the most to me, I buy them.
The last film I bought: Hmm. Not sure if it was Attack of the Clones or Y Tu Mama Tambien.
The last film I watched: Star Wars Episode III (press preview)
Films that I watch a lot or mean a lot to me: I like different kinds of movies. As a storyteller, I try to learn as much as I can from them. But in no particular order, here are a few that I can name right now.
The Usual Suspects - It’s very clever and has great performances by the cast.
Bram Stoker’s Dracula - I like Coppola’s stylish take on the book and the historical figure.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Anyone who’s fallen in or out of love (or both) should watch it. Painful and creative stuff. I love it. It really makes you think and feel.
Breakfast Club - The concept of putting a diverse bunch in detention really appealed to me, and it talked of school archetypes and the pains of growing up. I can so totally relate. And Simple Minds’ song fit perfectly at the end.
Ringu - I watched this alone and never expected to be scared. But I was. Too bad for the sequels, remakes and copycats. Blecch.
Terminator 2 - I liked it as a teen, and I still like it now. Cameron really knows how to pace action. And Linda Hamilton was practically the third Terminator. Love her.
The Truman Show - Reality TV at its most bizarre and intrusive. Sad but funny. Or vice-versa.
Wild Things - It's a crazy heist film that had a really nice, memorable payoff.
Go - Very trippy and timeless. It had a subversive feel to it that I connected with.
Hero - Multiple perspectives have always appealed to me because they’re all fractions of the truth or the bigger picture. Visually, the film utilized painterly ideas through a marriage of colors and movements.
Star Wars - The movies were touchstones. Lucas built a galaxy inhabited by disparate beings whose fates lie in a fractured family’s hands.
Y Tu Mama Tambien - The themes of sexuality and self-discovery were presented creatively through a road trip. I feel for the characters.
Duda - It had its off moments, but I was impressed with Cris Pablo’s digital movie. He tackled gay issues with sensitivity and emotional resonance.
King of the Hill - Soderbergh’s drama about poverty was achingly beautiful, brought to life by then-child actor Jesse Bradford.
Scream - The movies were homages to, and parodies of, schlocky slasher flicks. The whodunits kept me guessing.
Back to the Future - Time travel, paradoxes and the '80s. Fun, fun stuff.
Dogma -Kevin Smith’s unorthodox dissection of religion was a blast. Still is.
Romeo + Juliet - Surreal and head-spinning. Fearlessly experimental.
50 First Dates - One of the best rom-coms ever.
To which 5 people am I passing the baton and why?
Movie lovers Chris, Dean, Carl, Ian and Jason. I’d pass it to John but he’s blog-less.
Update: But if you wanna do it, go ahead. Meme's for everyone. :)

5 comments:

sky said...

the breakfast club
pretty in pink
ferris bueller's day-off
some kind of wonderful
romy and michelle's high school reunion

hayyy. naghalungkat na ako sa quiapo at sa riverbanks, di ko sila mahanap.

ey, do you know where i can get st. swithin's day (i had it in installments, nung nasa trident pa sya)?

OLIVER said...

Hey Buddy! Wow, very '80s. :)
Merong mga Romy and Michelle na 75 pesos VCDs yata sa bargain bins.

St. Swithin's, I think is compiled na... try Comic Quest or Bibliarch. Gusto ko ring mabasa yon but I keep forgetting about it.

Ri said...

Go! I'd forgotten about that. Haha. That was fun. And King of the Hill... haha, my sister wanted to marry Jesse Bradford then. Now, she has doubts.

It's funny the movies that we hold close to our hearts :)

OLIVER said...

Hallow, Ri!
Yeah, Go is one of those oddball, funny, fun flicks.

Jesse Bradford... hehehe :D He's in his mid-20's now, I guess. He's cool. Liked him in Hackers and Romeo + Juliet.

OLIVER said...

Oh I forgot, Ri. Cool trivia about King of the Hill. Adrian Brody, Amber Benson (Tara of Buffy) and the blonde alien girl from Roswell were there too.