Friday, August 19, 2005

Just Can't Shake Your Love


After listening to old Wave-themed cassette tapes while working a few hours ago, I felt like listening to, yeah, Debbie Gibson's first two albums. I looked for my old Tiffany tapes, too, but they weren't in the old, dusty plastic bag anymore. Last time I listened to them, I was in high school. Yikes.

But they sang some fun, melodic teenybopper songs. Debbie wrote and produced her own songs (I still like her "Between the Lines"), while Tiffany was popular for her remake of "I Think We're Alone Now" and some co-written ballads ("All This Time" still feels real to me). The two had a "rivalry" that can be likened to the Britney-Christina thing a few years back, as they were the most prominent teen pop artists of the era.

Anyway, the two disappeared from the pop music scene by the '90s. Debbie pursued a Broadway career; Tiffany, if I remember it right (I saw an E! News report about her), eventually recorded a critically acclaimed "mature" pop album about three years ago. Both posed for Playboy. Here's Debbie's interview for the magazine, and Tiffany's cover.

Children, behave.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

4 comments:

sky said...

Awwww, not safe for work. Blocked by IT. He he he.

slim whale said...

whhhoooooa!

can't stay in that site too long. my boss might see me.

Unknown said...

Great write up....I loved Debbie Gibson and Tiffany and never followed what happened to them. Interesting stuff.....thanks for the research. Love your blog. Hope you find success in all your work.

OLIVER said...

Sky, Slim, hehehe... too bad. :D

Alice, thank you so much for dropping by. Good luck, too. :)