Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Cream Your Pants

Went to Greenbelt for an assignment a few hours ago. I was treated to a super-yummy Blueberries and Cream Crepe at Café Breton between a pair of interviews. Holy god. That was… ah, words escape me. It was a big serving, decked with a lot of berries, had a scoop of ice cream tucked inside the crepe, and the whole thing was swimming in syrup, powdered sugar and milk. Heavenly and sinful.

Walked around Glorietta after and checked out several toy stores. The Marvel Legends Taskmaster is still around. Good. I want it! It has a lot of weapons and an atomic steed. Also raided some sale comics bins. Ran into filmmaker Quark Henares at Filbar’s. I told him that he was noticeably thinner, and he was really happy and grinning about it. He was looking for the Astonishing X-Men hardcover, as well as some Infinite Crisis prologue TPBs. He asked if my comic book and Budj’s Trese were available there (nope, Comic Quest lang, I told him). Talked for a bit about his work (a horror movie!) and comics before leaving for home. Bought Young Avengers # 10.

Read the comic book while in a bus. It was okay; it was a quick read. There’s a new character, a potential new member. Got home, checked email, rested and bathed. I opened the comic book again. Oh my god!!!

Mostly Barely Legal Avengers Assemble!

EFFING SPOILERS!!!

I’m slowly liking this title. It’s steeped in years of Marvel continuity, yet accessible and independent enough to be appreciated on its own.

The Young Avengers reassemble and plan to rescue Teddy (Hulkling) from his captor, the Super-Skrull. The past few issues have practically been trumpeting that Teddy is the son of a Skrull and someone important. But eh, that’s obviously the deceased Captain Mar-Vell. Ho-hum. What made me go whoa! was when I pieced together a new puzzle. A new kid was introduced. Thomas "Tommy" Shepherd, one of those in the Vision’s future Avengers checklist, is a speedster that the team recruited to help them with the rescue mission. AND his hair is white like Quicksilver’s. He and Billy (Wiccan/Asgardian) look alike, according to the other members. So okay, they’re obviously related. When I opened the book again at home, that’s when it hit me. I looked at one of the recent Marvel Universe Handbooks, just to be sure. I checked Scarlet Witch’s entry. And there it was! The names were familiar. They’re Wanda’s “erased” twins! Tommy and Billy! Thomas and William! Separated and aged to their teens, and apparently, the Vision knew about this all along. This is a nice development and one that will hopefully lead to Wanda Maximoff’s eventual redemption and rebirth. But we’ll see. The new kid seems like a troublemaker. And straight—he gave Kate Bishop a sly, flirty smirk.

Writer Allan Heinberg has yet to reveal details about this, but the characters have been cleverly and lovingly handled, so far. Jim Cheung’s art is clean and well-suited for the title. Decent job, as usual. I hope they keep it up. Man, that was clever.

2 comments:

slim whale said...

i love café bréton. temple of gastronomical, uh, decadance. it's just too much for my small budget.

OLIVER said...

I didn't know the place existed before that assignment... but it's 'cause I'm more of a fastfood kinda guy, I guess. The rest of the items on their menu looked really tasty.