Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Felicity Unleashed

M:I III was a movie that I wasn’t particularly interested in watching. The first two installments were pretty bleh for me; the stories were too convoluted to understand or care about. But when I saw a picture of Keri Russell holding a gun this afternoon, I just had to see it. I wanted to see how the young woman who played mild-mannered art student Felicity for a couple of years fared as a superspy. It was in Felicity where I first saw Jennifer Garner as, if I remember correctly, a nerdy music major who hooked up with Noel (Scott Foley), years before she took on the Sidney Bristow role. So I was quite excited to see Keri transformed into another independent J.J. Abrams heroine, and I liked what I saw. She was grimy and a little bloody, and was totally tough. If only her character did more stuff and had more screen time. Nevertheless, M:I III is quite fun; the two prior movies never felt that way at all for me. It kind of feels like three episodes of 24 compressed into one, with more big-budgeted stunts and effects, but minus the ubercool Jack Bauer. Ethan Hunt is actually a human person in this one, as opposed to the mechanical, unstoppable spy-slash-killing machine of the past M:I’s. And it’s good that they finally showed the technology that makes those impossibly real masks that have been pivotal to difficult undercover missions.

Just some gripes: the villain played by Philip Seymour Hoffman was disposed of lamely and the action scenes were a bit tame and were lacking in artsiness. But again, the movie’s more decidedly feelgood and escapist than usual, and many details ultimately don’t matter.

Summer Freeze

Tried out a parfait, which is three scoops of ice cream with nuts, whipped cream and strawberry bits. It was yummy, but I felt empty afterwards, like I just wanted my dry mouth to feel the coldness. Ate an underwhelming chicken meal, also at the food court. It wasn’t too filling, and the breaded chicken lacked flavor. Urgh.

I finally bought new underwear, a discounted pack of three tighty-whiteys. Actually, only one is white; the other two are black and gray. Had to buy new ones ‘cause I couldn’t find my old, bacon-gartered ones. Maybe the people here thought they were rags because they don’t look wearable anymore, so they threw them away. But they’re my comfiest undies, and I don’t feel like wearing my nicer-looking ones at home. So I just go commando when the few pairs are still hanging in the clothesline. Too much info, I know. Yeek.

Just rested and switched outta drone-whore mode these past few days. Things are piling up again, but I’m not worried. The weather just doesn’t feel too cooperative and I don’t feel like straining myself for things I can do easily when I’m focused again. I’ll get things done when I find enough time and concentration for myself and my to-do list. So I’m still not totally here in that sense.

It’s a time when ideas flow and surge unhampered by daily rote, when time seems to stretch forever and I don’t feel like rushing to go home or start planning regular stuff. I’ve also been re-assessing my life and my jobs. I always do that anyway, but it’s a more conscious effort this time. Between that and thinking about what to do for the rest of the week, I just tried to catch some rest on my warm bed, and just shoved away thoughts of people I need to contact, and things that have been given a deadline.

I've been thinking of swirly colors and painting, of creating a new art portfolio, of pushing through with another comic book that I’ve been wanting to do for a long time, but had to stay on hold because of current opportunities I had to take. I’ll get to them one day. Yesterday and today, my head just wandered and thought about interlocking story and art pieces that I need to get out in the real world, someday. People must have noticed that I just stare blankly sometimes, and there are times that I just don’t feel like a social creature at all because, well, it’s either I’m planning, or worrying about something. It depends, I guess. I’m probably sorting out and organizing my head, or searching for info that my brain dumped way back. Been looking at my stuff and I’m trying to reconnect with old feelings and mindsets. I know that doesn’t make sense. Or does it? But that’s the way it is, and that’s how I see it.

I’m on Pause right now. Be back soon.

Male pattern baldness and stuff. Pic from last Saturday. Sketching superheroes on Benedict’s notebook.

6 comments:

j said...

hmm, makapanuod na nga ng sine!

sky said...

i thought that green pepper was part of the pencil. fancy!

OLIVER said...

Hi jairam,

Yeah, nood na. Malamig pa! :)

Sky! First time I saw the picture, I thought na parang nakadikit din nga yung pepper. Sa Pizza Hut kasi yan, e. :)

Antagal mo na hindi nagsusulat sa blog mo, man.

OLIVER said...

Glad to be of service, then. Hehe

rmacapobre said...

im on pause

where is "pause"?

OLIVER said...

The Universal Remote. But I'm back now. I have to worry about deadlines again. :)