Saturday, August 26, 2006

Pop Goes the Gum

I rarely go to music stores these days. But I dropped by a nearby Odyssey and discovered that Jewel has a new album. Judging from the simple, un-sexy CD cover, “Goodbye Alice in Wonderland” looks like she’s back to her folk music roots. I still have to listen to it to be sure. But nah, she’s not wearing anything form-fitting like last time, when she went for a sexier, more glammed-up, bubblegum-y pop image and sound. I didn’t buy that CD; I only know two songs from that (they had those videos where she got, er, wet and near-nekkid), so I really don’t know how much of a departure this new album is. Still, she’s talented. I liked her songs back in the ‘90s, especially her singles “Near You Always,” “Foolish Games,” and “Life Uncommon.” But gah, the CD is P 450-something. Forgot that they actually cost that way, because I haven’t bought anything recently, except for the P 250-Color It Red CD.

Also saw Regina Spektor’s CD, her debut album, I think. I wanna listen to that; saw her perform in Conan and she sounded like a happy Tori Amos crossed with a happy Fiona Apple. I looked around for a bit and saw Jamie Cullum’s new album, and Wilson Phillips’ Greatest Hits collection. Wanna get them eventually, but maybe I’ll wait ‘til they go on sale.

Pansyteria

Finally called up author and activist Danton Remoto a few nights ago. I was surprised, because he was very funny and pretty open about his life and other matters. He told me he felt at ease with me because he knows that I wouldn’t really mind, judging from things I’ve written. He also talked about his time as Inquirer editor back in the ‘90s, Ang Ladlad’s plans, and the Isagani (A.) Cruz controversy. He’s glad that a lot of people have been sending separate angry letters to PDI, instead of just a unified, consensus-like letter that represents different groups. He hopes that people will keep it up.

I agree. Keep them coming. To those who haven’t written yet, please let your thoughts be known; tell them that you were deeply hurt by Mr. Cruz’s rants. Your mail may not see print soon, as the letters page has very limited space, according to an announcement last Friday. But your letter will be read by the editors, and they’ll know that another reader felt shamed by that nastiness. You can make a difference.

It’s good to see that people are discussing the issue intelligently in different parts of the blogosphere. Back in the paper, the pro-gay columnists have timely pieces, too. Dr. Mike Tan wrote about gay families and homophobia, while Rina Jimenez-David wrote about the changing attitudes regarding homosexuality.

Margie Holmes texted and asked me last week if I was documenting these things in a journal, because it may yet turn out to be this country’s turning point, a bloodless Stonewall revolution that may lead to the recognition of gay rights. I told her that, yeah, many of us are writing about it and making noise in our blogs. And that, well, we’ll see what happens next.

They Might Be Giant-Men

Playkit, please, please get the Wal-Mart/Giant-Man Marvel Legends Wave! People have been selling sets at ridiculously, impossibly high prices. Come on, Playkit, bring them in, already.

3 comments:

rmacapobre said...

what is PDI? public display of ...

jactinglim said...

let me know how the new Jewel album sounds :) I also liked her first album. And only that ;)

OLIVER said...

Max--Philippine Daily Inquirer. Wait, was that a joke? I'm not sure when you ask kasi. ;)

Jac, will do. Baka ma-tempt din akong bilhin, heheh... Yung second album was more polished than her first, pero strictly hit-and-miss yung songs para sa kin. :)