Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Talk About Folk Music

Suffering Sapphos: Lindsay, Gus, Melanie

Just finished Queer As Folk season 2. Still pretty good, but it did resort to some shark-jumping in some parts, especially near the end. It was, however, good to see the Brian-Justin relationship evolve, and the Michael-Brian friendship grow deeper and more intimate (without getting really groiny). But Brian is still an ass. It’s a weird triangle of sorts after Michael and Justin became closer friends because of their comic book project. Emmett and Ted’s separate arcs were okay too, although their shared cliffhanger felt rushed and came out of left field. The lesbians, Mel and Lindsay… I love them. They’re still hot, and still some of the smartest-written people on the show. The new love interests… among the six or so recently introduced characters, I find the violinist kid (I forget his name right now) the most interesting.

It’s great to hear songs by The Cure (“Love Song”), Abba (“Chiquitita”), Sarah McLachlan (“Touch” and “Plenty”) and EMF (“Unbelievable”) during key scenes. They stand out among the more generic-sounding, electronica-dominated soundtrack, mostly played during the hot-‘n’-heavy club and sex scenes. I wish I knew the titles of the lesser-known ballads; they enhance some of the more tender moments. Its eclectic soundscape is still very integral to the senses-overloading series, which, while not as powerful as the first season, still makes me tear up a little whenever its characters go through the wringer.

Six Deep in the Grave

Saw the first two eps of Six Feet Under last week in a preview screening organized by the firm handling the HBO-Asia account. Well, it’s still damn depressing! Don’t get me wrong, I love the show, it’s brilliantly bleak, but I’m glad that it’s finally ending. People have written about how this last season is more meaningful and tragic (and I have read spoilers, as well), so I’m looking forward to how the series’ final storylines unravel. I really feel for Ruth Fisher, this time. Two episodes will air on Tuesday, Oct 10, 10 p.m., to be followed by single episodes in subsequent weeks.

Anyway, digression: Benedict says that David Fisher (Michael C. Hall) reminds him of me, minus the bulk. Well, I kinda see it, sometimes… wide forehead and clenched brow… okay. But Camille P. says I remind her of CSI Miami’s Rory Cochrane (he used to be a skinny guy, the goofy cashier kid in Empire Records). Hee hee. Cool.

Darkness and Light

As of this writing, some parts of Metro Manila have yet to get their power back. Hope this massive electricity problem gets solved soon, and never, ever happens again.

Was able to get the Marvel Select Cloak and Dagger last Saturday (Cloak is sculpted and painted impressively, but the figure is so hollow!) from the electricity-less DK. Watched The Departed with John after. Also that day, Benedict, after failing to convince us to join him as partners for the Mall of Asia’s Amazing Race-Asia games, tag-teamed with a stranger and won himself eight prizes (including a shirt, a free gym session certificate, a bandana, a keychain, a Men’s Health magazine, and I forget what else). Congrats, you. Glad that your persistence paid off.

Tickle Me Padre







This photo was taken in Batangas when I was twelve, I think. I’m really not sure. Anyway, months before this picture, a nice old priest, during one of the breaks of the retreat that he was officiating, kept tickling my neck, almost hugging me from behind. In front of the other kids! Nah, he was just being playful. That was just funny and innocent. Although, come to think of it, he wasn’t that touchy-feely with the other students.

4 comments:

jactinglim said...

hmmm interesting post ;)

OLIVER said...

Hehe... thanks! ;)

rmacapobre said...

quelle innocence. (sa karon ... murag innocent gihapon) hehehe ;p

OLIVER said...

Hi. Um, what does that mean?