Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Audio Dynamight

I still am not an iPod person, maybe because I’d rather hear music through big speakers than earphones. But, well, I’d still probably get one someday. Okay, stuck-in-an-island music once again. I did a post like this some time last year, and I’d like to add these among my favorites. Of course, I count my friend Gumby’s awesome made-for-me mix CDs among those I’d bring on a vacation or wherever, but these are the albums and compilations that I like aside from them. Some good listening experiences and timeless recordings:

Dido: Life for Rent- I prefer this over her debut album, although this doesn’t have her excellent “Thank You.” Dido Armstrong’s songs in this album are more melodic and lyrically richer, even when they’re all about blossoming and failing relationships.

Sarah McLachlan: Mirrorball- Hearing Sarah perform live is always a treat, and songs that otherwise sounded ordinary (well, for the great singer) in her studio albums became lively and unforgettable renditions here.

Underworld: A Hundred Days Off- Good to listen to when you’re lazing around, but just as permeating when you’re doing something else. I especially liked this pulsating dance album three years ago, when I was undergoing a phase.

Indigo Girls: Rites of Passage- This is their album I listened to first, and I was instantly hooked. “Galileo,” “Romeo and Juliet,” “Love Will Come to You” and the rest of the songs became part of my massive college life soundtrack.

The Sundays: Static and Silence- This album gave words to feelings and thoughts I was experiencing back in 1998. Soothing collection of jangling, melodic songs.

Dar Williams: The End of the Summer- Folk-pop storyteller Williams kicks serious butt. I like that her songs are analytical, and sometimes self-deprecating.

Lemonheads: Come On Feel the Lemonheads- Oh, this brings back memories. One of the ‘90s better-sounding bands, and their mostly playful songs connected with me back then, and still do.

Belinda Carlisle- Runaway Horses- Loved this back in high school, but I appreciate it more now, because I understand what she’s singing about in many of the songs. I heart "Valentine."

Imago: Probably Not But Most Definitely- Still the local band’s best album. This debut showcases Aia De Leon and the gang’s most entrancing, most literate compositions.

The Best of Suzanne Vega: Tried and True- It’s Suzanne Vega’s best. That’s reason enough.

Garbage: Version 2.0- Unearthly, pounding meshing of rock sensibilities with electronica artistry. It’s a distinctly energetic, soundtrack-y album by Shirley Manson and company.

Dashboard Confessional: Dusk and Summer- A recent favorite. It’s a very polished, anthemic album about sentimental summer lovin’, and stuff like that.

John Mayer: Room for Squares- Five years ago, this guy debuted, and you just know he’d go far. The troubadour and this intimate, reflective endeavor easily became my faves.

Moby Dictum

My thanks to Tricia of EMI for giving me CDs last week. Go-the very best of Moby is, of course, very listenable. The 15-track CD doesn’t include the techno artist’s “South Side,” though, but it’s still a good compilation of some of his major and minor hits (and probably some choice cuts from older albums). The new song, if I’m not mistaken, is "New York, New York,” which features Debbie Harry on vocals. I saw the video of that recently, and it actually looked like a Spike Jonze-directed Fatboy Slim one, in that it had four goofily dressed people dancing to the song outdoors. Hunh. But as far as the compilation is concerned, not bad, for someone who never expected that he’d be a successful, full-time musician one day. No, not bad at all.

2 comments:

jactinglim said...

hmmm been a while since I allowed myself the luxury of buying new cd's :) nice to read about your taste in music.

OLIVER said...

Thanks, Jac. Actually, I only rarely buy cds myself. Most of these are old ones, and the others are cassette versions. :)