Monday, August 06, 2007

One With Everything

Open Up the Paper, There’s a Story of an Actor

While re-structuring my resume, I noticed that the work I've done so far for the paper is one huge mnemonic device. In a span of a couple of years and hundreds of articles with bylines, my list of published works and their corresponding dates brought me back to crucial points where I was changing in different ways. Arranging that list reminded me of events and feelings I’d already forgotten, but while I'm not exactly one of those with elephantine recollection for exact dates, I do remember the times when specific articles were written and how I perceived things back then.

I remember how I was contacted to cover each specific event, and these assignments collectively allowed me to meet new people along the way, some of whom became close friends up to this day. I remember songs I was listening to, and shows I was following, during those months. And as these weren’t all interview pieces, I’m also recalling what I was doing when I see the titles of old movie articles. There’s a bevy of films I was lucky enough to view for free, even when a sizeable portion of them were the equivalent of junk food, quick fixes, or empty sex. Still, there were movies I’m glad I’ve seen and written about, whether I got in for free or not. I’ve also been to gatherings where the supposedly highbrow were laughing at things that weren’t funny, and the seemingly lowbrow had profound insights to share.

I find it cool to have met really smart and multi-talented people from the paper and other broadsheets. I recall particular conversations with them during press conferences and whenever I occasionally run into them off-work. I’ve had plenty of opportunities where I was tapped to do exclusives, and I’m grateful for them too. I’ve met or talked to people whom I’ve seen only on the big and small screens before. I don’t get too wowed by them at the end of the day, because for me, each person I’m tasked to write about is a job.

The list also yielded one of the more memorable ones for me. One of the harder things that I covered, I must say, was a show organized by the Make a Wish people, held at Glorietta about four years ago, where I had to interview parents of gravely sick kids after. That was humbling, and it kinda puts everything in perspective every time I think about it. The celebrities who participated told me how they’re glad to put their popularity to great use, and to share for that cause.

Anyway, the publish dates also trigger vivid memories of long-forgotten personal journeys I had to take. I smile at mistakes made that I guess were inevitable. Behind the scenes, as a person, I was changing in good ways and bad, in ways that I never imagined.

I still am.

What Doesn’t Kill Ya…

Been enjoying Avengers Initiative by Dan Slott and Stefano Caselli. I’m also reading a bunch of new Marvel Universe Handbooks, which finally give profiles to new or obscure figures, aside from updating some famous characters’. I’m pleasantly surprised by The Marvel Tarot by writer-designer David Sexton, which isn’t exactly the traditional profile handbook, but its cardstock cover and non-sequential format makes it fit right in. It’s a rich, surreal look at Dr. Strange’s mystic deck of cards and its unexpected, intriguing connection to Marvel’s magical characters, as interpreted by fellow sorcerer Ian McNee. I’m halfway through that, now.

Anyhoo, just some quotables from other recent superhero comic books I read:

"Really? You tried to sleep with Wolverine and he’s tried to kill your cousin. And what about Iron Man? He shot your cousin into space!"
--Mallory Book to Jen Walters/She-Hulk, after denying she slept with Juggernaut

"If you and I--two Jamie Madroxes had--you know--with each other, would that constitute actual--you know…"
--Jamie Madrox dupe to original Jamie

"I pulled him inside-out and saved the universe. What have you done lately, Tony?"
--Nova telling Iron Man of Annihilus' fate

"Every single one of them could fly. In the end I think they inspired me more than I inspired them."
--Superman reminiscing about the Legion

"I never dressed like Hawkeye. Even when he wore a headband and a skirt."
--Kate Bishop to Clint Barton

"Avengers seniority?! Look me in the eye and say that again, Delroy!"
--Rage to Triathlon during World War Hulk

"Saw you on TV $%#@ing up your whole life, Peter."
--Clint Barton to Peter Parker

"Hear me well, Bruce… your anger means nothing to me. I am the Sorcerer Supreme. I could snuff the feeble flame of your mortal life with the merest twitch of the finger."
--Doctor Strange to the Hulk

"Dear Meatball, I have this thing right now where I only date nice guys. Give me a call if you decide to BE that nice guy. Maybe I’ll show you how to REALLY waltz, someday."
--Huntress’ handwritten note to Catman

"What red-blooded male wouldn’t want to lose his virginity to an exotic alien princess with such huge…eyes?"
--Barbara Gordon to Dick Grayson, referring to his hookup with Starfire

Girl Gone Wild

Another illustration I submitted last year for that zombie tribute book I mentioned a few entries back. This is my interpretation of the little girl zombie from Night of the Living Dead. Fully penciled on vellum paper, too. I wonder what happened to that project…

Nineteen, Nineties

The nine things I can remember from when I was 19:

1. I sported that hairstyle for a few months. No, that’s not a mullet, although I’m guilty of having one about a year or so later. Gyuck.

2. I just recovered from some illness when the picture was taken.

3. I just quickly recovered from heartbreak, too.

4. The family went to Agoo around that time to visit the supposedly miraculous site of the Mary apparitions, but I don’t know now if that was weeks before or after this pic.

5. I took up some advanced classes that summer to free me of some minor subjects in the upcoming schoolyear. It’s a nerdy thing, I know, but it was boring if you got stuck at home and did nothing. Taking them early proved helpful later too because I was able to devote time to my thesis a few months later.

6. I had a bunch of Bram Stoker’s Dracula movie trading cards.

7. I really enjoyed swimming, even when I’m only familiar with the basics.

8. I carried a heavy three-ring binder/clearbook that compiled a lot of my original character designs in my bag whenever I could.

9. My Dad gave me a short talk that basically reminded me to respect, and not take advantage of my, er, “admirers.” >cough!<

No comments: