Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Wanna Free Fall, Out Into Nothin'

Love, love Peter David’s current run on X-Factor. The odd X-team is a uniquely addictive bunch; the drama and storytelling dynamics of the book are differently absorbing. Witty dialogue, praiseworthy art by Pablo Raimondi, and the further growth of characters that I grew up with--Jamie Madrox, Rahne Sinclair, Siryn, Guido, Rictor--make the title one of my current must-reads, along with Dan Slott’s Avengers Initiative and She-Hulk, Joss Whedon’s Astonishing X-Men, and the updated Marvel Universe Handbooks. Am just enjoying a breather now, and catching up on some comics, after being bombarded with info on car loans, details of which I'm trying to absorb for a motoring article that I should write soon.

You gotta review references for that assignment carefully, like everything else, yeah, but I can do it, I just need to organize what I’ve absorbed about it so far. I think I just need some rest, just so that my mind can rest and be refreshed when I finally do write about it. If the boss is reading this, by the way, I’ll get to it, worry not. This is how I do things, and trust me; I’m more efficient this way, sometimes.

John and I watched Surf’s Up last Saturday. Hm, the story feels a little like Pixar’s Cars. Shia LaBeouf and Jon Heder voice bird surfer dudes in the Sony Animation offering. Huge mascot of Shia’s penguin character Cody Maverick was a bit intimidating when it popped up in the Galleria theater before the screening, actually. Kids seemed to like him, though. Had to relax after too, as Sunday was partly devoted to work.

And by lunch-ish the next day, I went to the First Philippine International Motor Show, which had spiffy, sleek new vehicles of all shapes and sizes on exhibit, as well as sexily clad promo girls that entertained some visitors. Um, moving on…

Dicky and I met up a few hours later in Makati, and he had me do a few loose pencil layouts for his story. No, I’m not drawing that; the creator-artist of the characters wants him to script and plot it for him. Oh, by the way, Benedict lent me the latest Fudge magazine, where pics of him and an article centering on his cosplaying appeared. Coolness. Anyway, I’m real sleepy now, just like in this pic. I know, I always look that way. Must catch some z’s, now.

No comments: