Sunday, September 16, 2007

In the Daze of the Why

Jerk!

That’s from Irredeemable Antman by Robert Kirkman and Phil Hester. I’ve read 11 of 12 issues, so far. Well, it’s typically Kirkman, in that it’s wry and unconventional. It centers on an opportunistic SHIELD agent, Eric O’Grady, who steals an experimental Antman suit… actually, he pries it off his dead best friend, who was killed in a supervillain attack. Not long after, he takes advantage of his dead friend’s grieving girlfriend by being a shoulder to cry on. He sleeps with her eventually, then ditches her, just like that. What a jerk.

Just like some real people.

Hanging Out With the Drama King

Lazy Sunday afternoon, so I’m just tuning out work and rediscovering old songs through CDs and tapes stacked haphazardly in my room. Like in an older post, “Fool for Love,” I can actually narrow down the songs that best connect with me, but unlike the old entry, this isn’t just a soundtrack that fits my love life. It’s a compact list of the songs that best describe aspects of my life. So generally, it’s the soundtrack of my life, my damn drama, and my thoughts on some bonds that aren’t necessarily romantic.

I’ve never been one to take crap from people, but I’m far from the epitome of balance and perfection. I need to change for the better too. I’ve always known that. And these songs reflect, and remind me of my continuous search for contentment and meaning. I’m sure I’ll hear more songs that connect, but for now, and as a whole, this rundown is quite accurate.

1. What Do You Hear In These Sounds- Dar Williams
“Oh how I loved everybody else, when I finally got to talk so much about myself.”

2. Ghosts-Dirty Vegas
“All I ever wanted was a chance to make it real.”

3. London Rain- Heather Nova
“When somebody needs you, well, there’s no drug like that.”

4. Walk Down The Road- Cynthia Alexander
“I look up at the sky. Now I know why.”

5. The Heart of the Matter- Don Henley
“You better put it all behind you, ‘cause life goes on.”

6. Saturday Night, Sunday Morning- River Detectives
“Where do you go when your love is dying? How do you stop yourself from crying?”

7. Proud to Fall- Ian McCulloch
“From start to finish, I was proud to fall.”

8. Me- Paula Cole
"I'm scared as hell but I know there’s something better.”

9. Both Sides Now- Joni Mitchell
“Something’s lost but something’s gained in living everyday.”

10. Collide- Howie Day
“Even the best fall down some time, even the wrong words seem to rhyme.”

11. Talking To My Angel- Melissa Etheridge
“I sold my soul for freedom. It’s lonely but it’s sweet.”

12. I’ll Follow the Sun- The Beatles
“And though I’ll lose a friend, in the end you will know.”

13. Gypsy- Suzanne Vega
"Please do not ever look for me but with me you will stay."

14. Full of Grace- Sarah McLachlan
“I know I can love you much better than this.”

15. These are Days- 10,000 Maniacs
“You’ll know it’s true that you are blessed and lucky.”

16. Windmills- Toad the Wet Sprocket
“I spent too much time seeking shelter.”

17. Good Mother- Jann Arden
“I’ve got money in my pocket. I like the color of my hair. I’ve got a friend who loves me.”

18. Head Over Feet- Alanis Morissette
“You are the bearer of unconditional things.”

19. Idlip- Imago
“In the arms of make-believe, sleep will set you free.”

20. Mystery- Indigo Girls
“There must be a thousand things you would die for. I can hardly think of two.”

21. Hallelujah- Jeff Buckley
“All I ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who outdrew you.”

22. Not Myself- John Mayer
“Suppose I said, you’re my saving grace?”

23. Honey Be Good- The Bible
“If you can’t be good, be good at being bad.”

24. Life Uncommon- Jewel
“No longer lend our strength to that which we wish to be free from.”

25. 29- Gin Blossoms
“At 29 you’d think I’d know better, living like a kid.”

26. Love Shines- Live
“Like an eternal sun, it shines.”

27. Dear God- Midge Ure
“Is there somebody watching over the mess that we made? We’re lost and alone and afraid.”

28. Everybody Hurts- REM
“Sometimes everything is wrong.”

29. Crucify- Tori Amos
“I’ve been raising up my hands, drive another nail in… got enough guilt to start my own religion.”

30. Here’s Where The Story Ends- Sundays
“It’s that little souvenir of a colorful year that makes me smile inside.”

No comments: