Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hobby Haul Happiness

De-stressed a little at the gym last Friday. Lifted weights, sauna’d, steam roomed and used a number of arm and chest exercise machines. The next day, getting all sweaty wasn’t as pleasant an experience at the mightily packed annual Toy Convention at Megamall. I had to walk around the Megatrade Hall to look for nice stuff, and it got a little too crowded at times. Still, the huge crowd was a given and being there was quite a fun experience. I was able to find a few action figures at bargain prices (finally, the female Dr. Light, Alex Luthor and Superboy Prime!). I wanted to buy more but, drat, I had to save for other things. Lotsa fellow nerds enjoyed the plethora of pleasurable plastic poseables. Had to change into my new uber-nice Marvel geek shirt, some time later:

I met up with fellow toy collectors JC and Cyrus, who got themselves bagsful of goodies by the early evening. Benedict was cosplaying as the Transformers’ Prowl, but too bad I wasn’t able to take pics of him transforming. People loudly cheered thrice while he did that onstage. The best costume award this year was given to the guy who dressed as MODOK (or Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing, below)! I clapped and cheered. You just have to see his tongue flitting in and out of his grotesque mouth!

There’s also Hard Gay, who’s been at every major hobby event these last few months. That’s his shtick; he’s the provocatively dressed and named cosplayer. I saw one girl shriek when she saw him. I don’t get the fascination, but, well, he’s a fun fellow who gamely poses for people. And it’s a different pose each time!

It was a fun event. Wish I had some extra cash to get some of the sweet-looking loose figures, but I’ll probably find them in some of the toy shops eventually. It’s been months since I bought an action figure, and it was fun to have such an event that catered to me and my fellow toy lovers.

No comments: