Sunday, August 10, 2008

Viewing Displeasure (or, Please Shut the Hell Up?)

Last Thursday, John and I watched the new X-Files movie at Megamall. It was a radio-sponsored screening and not a press preview, which meant that the crowd’s bigger than usual.

We chose seats at the fourth row quite early. Shortly before the movie started, a group of three sat behind us. One of them, a loud woman, irritatingly talked about how she got in for free. She told her story to her companions during the drawing of raffle prizes. She talked about it again after the national anthem played, and yet again while the trailers rolled.

At that point, I was groaning. I tisked loudly, but the inconsiderate idiot kept talking. Moving to another spot wouldn’t have solved it, and we liked where we were sitting. I was about to tell her to shush (I’ve done it before, and I’d do it again). But John beat me to it:

“PWEDENG TUMAHIMIK? NAGSISIMULA NA ANG PELIKULA. HINDI LANG KAYO ANG NANONOOD. THANK YOU!”

Thank you, John. She shut up after that. He recalls that those people were the same ones yammering during the screening of “The Happening.” But it was another woman, an older-sounding one, who kept talking about how she deserved getting in there for free and how she got into the preview of Sharon Cuneta’s movie.

John told her to shut up, too.

No comments: