Thursday, September 11, 2008

I Miss My Heartbeat For Them

Oh yeah, I’ll gush about Taken By Cars now. Damn, I love their “December 2, Chapter VII.” I’ve seen the arty video about seven times now.

Sometimes, I’d just leave the channel on MTV while working or doing something else, hoping that it’s part of the playlist. I like the band’s first song “Uh Oh,” which was rotated on the video channel for several weeks. But the rocking “December 2” has more melodic New Wave-ish parts; vocalist Sarah Marco’s voice sounds more emphatic and fuller, and the simpler but more emotional lyrics connect with me. Someone compared their music to Bloc Party’s, but I’m not familiar with that band (yet). Based on their first two songs, I’d say that their music could be The Wild Swans meets 10,000 Maniacs. I dunno how their other songs sound (yet!), but I hope to own their album when I get my next check. Yes, I’ll support these guys.

“But I wasn’t where you were
No I’m never where you are
I’m in my looking-glass view
Always almost too close to you
I’m always almost too close to you.”

I love that song. Hearing it transports me to places, makes me revisit some feelings I thought I’d long forgotten, and makes me want to jump around if I had more room. The guitars, the voice, the shifting and playful sonic rendering... Taken By Cars, you are awesome.

Behind the scenes, December 2 shoot. Taken from Taken’s Multiply site.

No comments: