Friday, November 14, 2008

Quick Quotes

I’m fortunate and thankful to be given opportunities to speak with actors, artists, and people behind the scenes. I keep discovering that creative types from show biz and different fields typically have some interesting, unexpected, or inspiring things to share. Whether it’s in person, a phoner, or emailed responses, I always get something from their unique perspectives. Here are some of their replies, excerpts from a couple of my published articles:

“With this job, you learn to have a lot of patience. It’s an endurance test, not a sprint.” –George Eads, 2004

“My mother is my biggest influence. She’s a painter and a photographer. She encouraged me to paint and draw. She bought me a camera when I was nine years old.” –Zack Snyder (“300” and “Watchmen” director), 2007

“You have to ‘prostitute’ yourself one way or another to make it really big. But it’s very rewarding, in terms of finances and friends.” –Jojo Alejar, 2003

“Oh, there’s a million, gazillion things to learn. There’s a lot of dedication, ‘cause I’m doing a world tour right now. I’m living out of a suitcase and sleeping at hotel rooms every single night, and eating at restaurants all day long. That’s a bit of a compromise, you know, instead of, like, I get to be home in my bed, blah-blah-blah. But is it worth it? Yeah, because I get to tour and perform every night.” –Avril Lavigne, 2005

“I started writing my songs, picked up my guitar and started singing for my friends and myself. I guess it came from a need to express myself more. It’s a more personal, intimate kind of quest.” –Julie Delpy, 2004

“Our music can touch lives, can inspire people, or make sad persons happy. Minsan, nakakaiyak that you can change things through your music.” –Nina, 2004

“They don’t always listen to writers. As a screenwriter, your work always changes. The creative challenge of the job is trying to bring as much characterization to it, while every 15 minutes something has to blow up.” –Simon Kinberg (screenwriter, “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”), 2005

“I need to work out more. I don’t think I’m sexy!” –Jay-R, 2004

“It’s just people, documentaries… the ones I really love. I look up to people in life. I’m no film buff.” –Christian Bale, 2006

“There’s always compromise, whether you like it or not. There’s a need to satisfy your audience; that’s the whole point. Now you need to satisfy the record label, and even yourself. So, all those compromises will lead you to survive in this industry for a longer time.” –Paolo Santos, 2004

“It’s important to not have regrets and to savor the beautiful little things. It’s an unusual job and an unusual industry. There’s no people like show people, as they say.” –Brittany Murphy, 2006

“This is sad. This is cynical. Essentially, you have to be true to yourself, but keep it to yourself. In this business, it’s ideal to have a lot of masks, to protect yourself. One can’t always be candid or open. You have to know which face to put forward.” –Bituin Escalante, 2003

“They want to confuse me! But I always tell them that my practice was booked and I don’t have room for anyone. I always tell people to call Dr. Phil!” –Lorraine Bracco (on fans confusing her with her “Sopranos” character), 2008

“I just give them the honest truth: Don’t you go thinking that you’re gonna be famous overnight and that it doesn’t take work. It takes a lot of humility and a lot of embarrassment in the beginning. The first five years are brutal. Brutal!” –Rex Navarrete, 2006

“The most important things I learned from my father are spirituality, to seek the truth, to have discipline and to work hard at what I do.” –Ziggy Marley, 2007

“We owned the (“Beowulf”) script so we’re automatically the executive producers. And it also meant that we got the cool things the producers get, like cassette players. But we got the iPod nano.” –Neil Gaiman, 2007

“I think, for me, it’s keeping track of what’s enjoyable about being in Imago and in the business, remembering playing with the band and being around them on- and offstage. You have to keep remembering that, because the bigger you get pala, the more bulls—t there is. You have to keep track of what made you fun in the first place.” –Myrene Academia of Imago, 2006

“I believe all men, all leaders contend with their ‘Grendel’s mother,’ and they’re defined by how they deal with their demons.” –Roger Avary, 2007

“More than anything else, I’m more conscious of what’s in my heart. I guess my songs revolve around truth or reality. So, I’d rather fix myself than just focus on what other people say about me or my work.” –Kitchie Nadal, 2004

“I’m very privileged to play Wolverine. I love it. It’s quite different from real life, because I don’t look like him at all. People don’t always recognize me.” –Hugh Jackman, 2006

“There are gay members in every band. Trust me, we know! We’re the only ones that have been open about it through the years. But we don’t really point people out.” –David Hodo of Village People, 2006

“It’s because of the celebrity part of me that got me introduced to the Make-a-Wish Foundation… And it’s really the job of a celebrity to make someone’s life inspiring or happy when it’s sad. So we’re perfect for the job.” –Martin Nievera (on putting his fame to good use), 2003

“I had to learn the most important thing, which is to be really, really close to my inner self and not act.” --Vanessa Redgrave (on learning new things about acting in “Fever”), 2008

“I wouldn’t know how to teach. I’d just tell kids, ‘work hard, work hard, work hard.’” –Dianne Warren (pop songwriter), 2004

“The film and television industry here has respect for creative gay people. They respect you because you’re good. I never felt any discrimination in my career because I’m gay. Most of the powerful people are homosexuals—gays and lesbians—they dominate the industry and rule it.” –Andoy Ranay (actor, “Duda”), 2004

“With the album, I just scratched… made a tiny dent on the massive, massive ocean of music. I’m still learning. My music is gonna continue growing. The great thing is, jazz has no boundaries.” –Jamie Cullum, 2004

“All I want is to be respected as an actress. I want people to say when they see me, ‘Ah, she does her job well.’ I don’t want to be a star.” –Iza Calzado, 2006

“As kids, we always wanted to be rock stars! We make it a point to thank the fans daily for making this a living for us.” –Jeff Stinco of Simple Plan, 2005

“Sometimes, there are gay men who insist on falling for ‘straight’ men. It’s so sad because you’re setting yourself up for heartbreak. Talagang ‘yang puso mo, dudurugin mo if you insist on falling for a guy who self-identifies as straight. Or he says, ‘I’m not gay but I’m a man who has sex with men.’ I’ve seen many people who say this. There are smart people also! It’s not just the ones who you think are kinda loopy. Sayang.” –Margie Holmes, 2005

“A lot of fans in Moscow give us respect for our music. They come up to us, like, ‘Okay, I’m not a fan. I don’t need a photograph and an autograph. But you sing great.’ Sometimes, that feels better than crazy girls who take off their shirts and say, ‘Give me an autograph!’” –Vlad Topalov of Smash!!, 2004

“I enjoyed my work with Madonna, ‘Vogue.’ I like the video I did with Michael Jackson. I enjoyed most of them. I love people who know who they are, who have a pretty good idea of how they want to be seen.” –David Fincher, 2007

“I think I know it when I see it. I’m pretty objective about it. You really see it when you’re watching it.” –Sam Rockwell (on doing a role justice), 2007

“And the most important thing I’ve learned so far is, don’t work with a—holes!” –Ethan Hawke, 2004

No comments: