Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jay-R’s ‘Holiday’ Evolution

(Published Dec. 11, PDI-Entertainment)

Jay-R: Respect everyone
By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
Contributor

Singer-actor Jay-R’s work load doesn’t look like it’s going to lighten soon, and he’s thankful for that.

The 27-year-old is busy recording songs with TV host-singer Iya Villania for the World Peace Federation, as well as with acting in the GMA 7 soap “La Lola.

The night before an early morning shoot for “Desperadas 2,” Jay-R launched a Christmas album, “Holiday of Love,” sales of which will be donated to the Kapuso Foundation.

He gave an exclusive interview to Inquirer Entertainment during the launch at Red Box in TriNoma.

What things do you know about the industry at this point in your career?
I’ve been in show biz for five years. I definitely wish I knew what I know now back then when I started. I would’ve done things differently, I think.

What are the challenges now?
Medyo mahirap, actually. It’s very hard. Kasi, when I came here to the Philippines, there wasn’t really a male vocalist at the time. My rise to popularity was pretty fast. Now the hard part is sustaining it. That’s what I’m currently doing.

How has your music evolved?
It changes. Dati, my R&B was really urban R&B na danceable na talaga. Parang hip-hop-R&B. It’s still danceable but my music’s changing. Now it’s like soul-R&B from my last album to jazz-R&B with this Christmas album. Parang nagiging mellow siya. That’s how Filipino R&B is, I guess. And it still talks about love.

How would you describe the Christmas album?
It’s a fusion of jazz and R&B; it’s like a new sound for me, actually. At first, I didn’t know what I’d come up with. It was fun, because it’s really experimental. And when I finished the album, I was pretty satisfied with the results.

How did you choose the songs?
There are 14 songs. They’re definitely my favorite Christmas songs when I was growing up. ‘Yung mga “Sleigh Ride,” “The Christmas Song” and “Winter Wonderland.” Of course, they’re traditional Christmas songs that everybody knows. And also, there are two original songs: one that I wrote and one by my sister, Ate Jhing.

What’s the most important thing you’re learning about the music business?
Definitely respect. Respect everyone. It doesn’t matter who the person is; dapat may respeto talaga ‘cause it’s a team effort. From the lights to the sound when the show is happening, it’s not just me that’s important during a show or a recording.

As a Filipino music artist, how do your efforts contribute to the big picture?
I know from some kids that I’ve seen na ginagaya ‘yung style ko. I think I’m contributing my best as a vocal teacher. I’m very proud. So I think I will be a teacher in the contribution to Filipino music.

No comments: