Sunday, February 08, 2009

Daze of Future Past

It’s 1991 all over again for Chris Claremont. According to Newsarama, he’ll be writing a new title, X-Men Forever, which continues after X-Men # 3, his “last” issue. He did eventually return to the main X-books nine years later.

I still like the stories from his original run. They weren’t perfect, but many of them were memorable. I’m not a fan of his recent works, though. Maybe allowing him to pick up where he left 18 years ago is a good thing. Aside from the fact that it’s an alternate world, meaning it doesn’t have an impact on other titles’ continuity, it might be good for him to write characters he’s very familiar with.

I remember when the X-Men became really big that year. Jim Lee was doing some of his best work. So was Whilce Portacio, on X-Factor. I liked Peter David and Larry Stroman’s revamped X-Factor too, just a few months later. I’d draw characters back then that looked like rough iterations of the popular mutants. I think the major revamping of the line was aptly called “Glory Days” in the catalog solicits.

This time-travel/alternate reality thing does make me wonder now. What point in my life would I return to, and change for the better? I’d like to think that I’m the result of everything I experienced, and am experiencing. I wouldn’t have learned important things if I didn’t meet certain people or do reckless things. Still, if I could get back to some “restore point,” which part would it be? Would things really improve, and recurring mistakes be avoided?

I wonder.

No comments: