Saturday, March 14, 2009

Back in the Summer of ‘89

One lazy afternoon that summer, I put a few stacks of 3R-sized family pictures in a photo album. It’s not that I was itching to do that; I just wanted something to do. I volunteered to organize them and stick them into the new sleeves, which were held together by a three-ring binder. One of the photos was a closeup of me (left) when I was in third year high school, just a few months before. Styling gel was kind of one of my best friends. A razor was not, although some would say it still isn’t, these days. Some weeks after this pic, I shaved off my teen facial hair for the first time, if I’m not mistaken.

I was mostly a regular teen, in that I was awkward and sometimes lacked confidence. By this time, I had already shown a keen interest in the arts. A friend suggested that I draw his older brother’s action comic book, about a squad of special agents. I drew costume samples and weapons, based on his ideas. I drew a few pages of his story. I knew that the drawings looked amateurish, and I was expecting the guy to dislike it, too. The project, which was supposed to be presented to potential publishers, was quickly shelved. The pages were literally shelved; the drawings were kept in a closet, never to be mentioned again.

But my interest in comic books, and the process of making it, didn’t wane. I’d buy a few that I really liked, and read the rest at bookstores and department stores. I was also expressing an interest in music; I remember liking When In Rome’s “The Promise” and “Heaven Knows” so I bought the vinyl version of the album after school started. I’d listen to my brother’s records and a bunch of my tapes often, and I’d jump and dance to them. There’s the old radio-phono-cassette player, behind my old high school friend (below), when it still functioned. I think that’s a 3D rota-air electric fan in front of it, by the way. This wasn’t taken in ’89, but about two years later. That guy is still my friend; he drops by and borrows comics from time to time. I remember him teaching me how to play basketball--in vain--one summer afternoon in ’89.

Anyway, below is a pic of me and my kid sister in Pasay, later that year. It was Christmas, I think, and we were at our late grandmother’s place. I was eating a Pinipig Crunch, and wearing a pair of acid-washed jeans. I was probably worrying about an Algebra test, or getting a college entrance application. Or, asking a girl to the prom.

Twenty years later, I still feel child-like. Sometimes, I cling to certain things that I’ve loved since I was a kid. And I just realized--while looking at the old photo album--that I’ve had arguments with every member of the family. The reasons vary, but I guess that’s pretty normal for any family unit. Time and maturity do heal old wounds, I suppose.

When I look at these old pictures, I see naiveté and innocence, and maybe an eagerness to belong and be validated. Still, I miss the way I looked back then, sometimes. I miss being fit. And I also miss not worrying about real-life, grownup things.

Two decades after, I’d say that I’ve gone through a heck of a lot of changes, inside and out. I’ve experienced failure and success, met people with whom I shared interests and moments, known bonds that were never taught back in the confines of the classroom, and regretted mistakes. I learned and unlearned things. I wondered about my survival, fulfillment, and legacy. I think about my place in the world, and sometimes, I think about not caring. Some days feel more half-empty than half-full.

I’d still say, though, that despite some recurring challenges and hair loss, I turned out pretty okay.

4 comments:

Reno said...

Didn't notice it back in college, pero may hawig ka kay Rob Liefeld, ah. hehe.

OLIVER said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Hahaha. Strangely enough, some classmates back then mentioned seeing Rob Liefeld (not sure where), and they told me he sort of reminded them of me when he talked or laughed. :D

glenncruz said...

nice to go back down memory lane with an album -- if only i could find mine. (strangely, the whole thing disappeared.) nice to reacquaint with your writing, oliver... god! i miss blogging. ^_^

OLIVER said...

Hope you find your old pics... always fun to look at them.

Thanks for dropping by, Glenn. Blog again!