Monday, March 30, 2009

Spongebob, Endless Summer Nights, Power Pets

And so my love-hate relationship with summer begins again. The heat makes me wish I had a tub or a pool where I can just dip in and soak all day. It was an okay week, though; I’ve done a lot of reading, among other things. I’m taking advantage of the quiet time to catch up on some TV shows and comic books. Something I didn’t expect was helping out my nephew with an art assignment.

I had to sculpt something out of a small block of soap. I didn’t want to make anything complicated, so I came up with something that resembled Spongebob Squarepants. It didn’t have limbs or anything, but it looked recognizable enough. The reference picture helped, of course, but the challenge was making a semi-3D version. That was an okay distraction, and the thing looked like one of those projects where parents helped out to make the homework presentable.

Anyway, I finally finished reading Neil Gaiman’s Sandman. I only bought and read the Preludes and Nocturnes compilation, and individual copies of Ramadan, World’s End, and Death: The High Cost of Living back in college. I was also able to read a friend’s Season of Mists compilation all those years ago, too. I like the epic and intimate moments, and how the writer creatively utilized different story structures. I read Death: Time of Your Life too, which had really interesting characters (lesbian couple Foxglove and Hazel), and was similarly well-written. But I was disappointed that it didn’t focus on Death. Still, I find Gaiman’s Endless mythology very endearing, and most of his characters unique and memorable.

I read a bunch of other comics too. I’m enjoying recent Avengers books (especially Mighty and the Initiative: Reptil one-shot) as well as the shocking latest issue of X-Force. I’ve been looking at the comic solicits too. There are interesting books coming in two months, including this one: The Marvel Pets Handbook!

Wow. I wanna get this. On the cover: the Pet Avengers, Black Knight’s steed, Old Lace, Kosmo the telepathic dog, Odin’s goats, one of Red Ghost’s apes, Mole Man’s giant monster, Devil Dinosaur, Tippy Toe and Ebony, I think. So cool.

No comments: