Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Metro Station has arrived

(Published June 11, PDI-Entertainment)

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit

Contributor

American electropop band Metro Station was formed in 2006, but discovered only after its song “Seventeen Forever” topped MySpace Music’s Unsigned charts.

Composed of Mason Musso (vocalist, rhythm guitarist), Trace Cyrus (lead guitarist, vocalist), Anthony Improgo (drummer) and Blake Healy (keyboardist, bassist), Metro Station recorded a self-titled, 10-track debut album that landed in various music charts. The band’s gigs at Ayala Malls continue tonight, 7 p.m. at TriNoma and tomorrow, 6:30 p.m. at Alabang Town Center.

Describe your music style, and name your biggest influences.

Mason: We call it synth-pop; that’s the easiest way to describe it. For the album, we were influenced by a lot of ‘80s music, and one of the biggest was a band called Postal Service. We were also influenced by New Order, Depeche Mode, and OMD.

Trace: Mason and I really got into this electronic-style music. We were into going to clubs. We wanted to accomplish getting the atmosphere--how people dance to your music--and we feel that we found that with our music.

Trace, did you always intend to make music different from your dad’s (Billy Ray)?

Trace: I’ve always wanted to do music ever since I was a child. But I didn’t know I wanted to do electronic music until I met Mason. I was making songs on my acoustic guitar; he was making different types of songs…

How do you divide singing duties?

Trace: We found this easy method. We figure out what part of the song is gonna be sung better by which singer. Mason has a totally different vocal style. We were working on a song the other night. It’s like, “You should sing this part.” and “I should come in here.” It’s just agreed upon.

What subject is easiest to write about?

Mason: Women.

Trace: Girls, relationships--it’s a big thing. We just try to write about anything that’ll reach a large number of people. If kids can’t relate to it, there’s no point in writing it.

Blake, how different was it before you joined the band?

Blake: I went to Los Angeles, not knowing exactly what I wanted to do with music, and I happen to get into a really great situation with these guys. I feel really lucky.

What’s the most important thing about making music?

Mason: Love what you’re doing.

Trace: As long as you know you’re happy, nothing else should ever matter.

What’s the best thing about being in Metro Station?

Trace: I have my best friends with me and I’m making music so it’s the best of both worlds. These guys are my new family.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the cyrus kid is weird looking IMO

love
nobe

www.deariago.com
www.iamnobe.wordpress.com

OLIVER said...

Hello Nobe,

Um... I'd say he pulls off the typical rock star look. :)

Thanks for visiting. Do come back! :)