Friday, October 30, 2009

Storytelling Evolution

Here’s a rundown of some comic books that I worked on, because I haven’t really talked about them except, well, you know.

Dhampyr (1997)

I began drawing David Hontiveros’ story back in the mid-‘90s. I was in my early 20s; I was still learning anatomy, perspective, and facial structure… and it sometimes showed. David’s script was challenging; he allowed me free rein on the character designs, but he also had very specific narrative techniques that I had to adhere to. Initially, it was supposed to be released as three separate issues, but I convinced him that it would be better to have it published as a one-shot, 3-chapter book. I inked some pages penciled by John Toledo, who also helped out with some page layouts. Ultimately, interpreting David’s story was very educational; I sometimes regret cramming some panels with unnecessary details. The 80-page Alamat book was a finalist in the 1998 National Book Awards.

Avatar # 1: The Legend of Baal (2000)

I illustrated eight pages (a cover/credit page and seven sequential pages) for this spinoff of David’s Pantheon title. This time, he asked me to go wild and Kirby-esque with the designs, and gave me more than enough room to cut loose. I enjoyed drawing this backup story, which had monsters, aliens, and super-scuffles. Oh, the pages doubled as tryout submissions that I sent to Whilce Portacio in late ’99.

Babe Force # 3: Cancer Killer (2002)

The 2-page backup story was written by the late Doug Miers, then-publisher/creator of Comics Conspiracy’s Generic Comics. It was fully penciled; I just spotted blacks on the clear photocopies I scanned. The book was released in late 2002 in the US. To view the pages, go here.

Ab Ovo # 2: Ellen and Gina (2003)

This one was written by Vinnie Simbulan, who wanted me to draw the story in my cartoony “Lexy” style. The four-pager focused on a group of gossiping gal pals.

Lexy, Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll (2004)

Five years ago, I finally compiled my old comic strip, which appeared in music mag Pulp from 2001 to 2002. It’s the first thing that I both wrote and illustrated, and I’m glad that it was able to reach an audience through the magazine. After it ended, some people actually waited for the characters’ new adventures, so I told the rest of the story and self-published. I wanted to prove to myself, most of all, that I could do it. It’s gotten mostly positive reactions and reviews.

Lexy, Nance & Argus: Family Album (2005)

I did this as a Komikon “exclusive,” an ashcan-sized collection of spot cartoons, a supplement or addendum to the LNA comic book. Samples of the 24-page minicomic can be viewed here.

Siglo: Passion (2005)

My contribution to the project was a colored pinup. Dean Alfar asked me and other local creators to contribute some drawings for the book’s gallery.

Underpass # 1 (2009)

I was contacted some months ago to draw another of David’s stories. I guess he and co-scripter Budj thought of me when they discussed its sexual content (I did make a sex-themed comic book, after all). I opted to use a mostly monochromatic style using mixed media. I did away with clutter and heavy blacks. Initially, I did a page using another style, but I was really unhappy with it that I tore it after finishing. Anyway, I do hope Summit keeps publishing comic books. I saw copies displayed at National Bookstore Glorietta’s comics section, by the way.

Other comic book contributions include a page for Exodus # 2, a pinup for the Wasted compilation, three drawings for Pantheon, and a cover for Psigns of the Season. Whew.

No comments: