Monday, December 21, 2009

LNA: Five Years Later

Five years ago, I released the self-published comic book “Lexy, Nance & Argus: Sex, Gods, Rock & Roll.” Time flies; I remember staying at the printing press for long hours, checking if the page signatures were correct, and making sure that no blank page made it to the binding stage. By Dec. 23, copies had been delivered to Comic Quest Megamall. I’m grateful to my friends John and Benedict, who helped me get the book out there, and I’m thankful to the people who bought copies and/or took time to say really good things about it.

I’ve been asked a lot if a sequel is in the works. No, there won’t be one. And while I’m at it, no, the book is fiction, and no, I wasn’t molested as a child. But yes, I want to revisit some places. I’d like to write my character Jim again someday. I’m thinking of calling that future book “Psychic Love: Jim and Ma-An Save the World.” Or something. But while I’m not going to devote an entire comic to Lexy and the gang anytime soon, I do play with ideas from time to time. Their stories never truly end, and this recent image tells a few new ones. But I’d rather let them talk about it:

ARGUS: It was weird having Joop there. But seeing him again, with his pretentious tattoos and closet-era George Michael stubble, well, it’s like being punched in the gut… but you actually like it, know what I mean? Yeah, the “friends with benefits” thing got too complex. My heart broke. Yeah, he’s ten years younger, but we totally get each other. Um, when we’re not pissing each other off, that is. He’s so talented, it’s ridiculous, and you don’t see his brand of audacity these days. It’s like his parents knew he’s destined for greatness. They just had to name him after the daddy of the pantheon. Or the ginormous planet.

LEXY: We’re now in our thirties, worrying about the future more, but enjoying family life immensely. I guess that’s how we are, five years after, in a nutshell.

NANCE: It’s been five years?! I didn’t notice. A few lovers have come and gone. But I’m more concerned these days about my kids. And my career. Okay, I’ll only admit it here. I’m in a relationship. With a married couple from showbiz. There, I said it. I don’t see it going anywhere, but so far, it’s fun.

JIM: Man, what a slut. Just kidding, Nance. Me, I don’t need to say anything. Everything’s in the picture. I just wanna greet everyone, Merry Horusmas. Or Merry Solmas.

ARGUS: Happy Holidays to everyone! Except homophobes and other creeps. You know who you are, you unthinking, self-righteous, ugly hypocrites. Oh, and thank you, Stef, for taking the picture. Eat the fruitcake.

No comments: