Saturday, May 22, 2010

Summing up Sam Bradley (2009)

(I was sent to interview the singer last October. I submitted this article and it was in the lineup, but again, unexpected variables kept it from being published. Oh well. I enjoyed the interview. Funny and wise guy, that Mr. Bradley.)

Summing up Sam Bradley

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit

Just a few years ago, indie singer-songwriter Sam Bradley picked up a guitar and started teaching himself the basics.

“I’ve been playing the guitar since I was 17,” he shares between eating mango slices during a recent breakfast interview.

“I started late. My mom bought me a guitar. All my friends were playing, and I kinda felt left out. At 18, I bought a really basic studio setup, and then I started recording demos at my house. At 19, I made a real CD, and it was terrible.”

But after years of honing his craft, he has won over fans across the globe. The 23-year-old indie artist, whose squeaky clean, un-rock star demeanor belies his commanding, soulful presence onstage, knows how to keep a crowd mesmerized.

He talks with an English accent, but loses it when he sings songs from his self-titled EP, or covers of rock, folk, and R&B hits. Videos of gigs posted online show the diversity of the emotive troubadour’s musical styles.

Touring since May, Sam recently visited the country and performed in several SM malls. “I am busy up until the end of the year,” he says, while finishing a bowl of cereal mixed with yogurt. “I’ll be touring North America, with a Canadian-Japanese artist, Justin Nozuka. I’m playing 37 shows in 48 days. That takes me up until about halfway through December. After that, I guess I’ll start looking for an independent record label. Either that or win a lottery. I haven’t decided yet.”

How different are your “relationship songs”?

Most of the songs are personal. But they’re not all about relationships. I’ve written one that is totally disconnected to me. The song “Even Thought Of Leaving” is about a father who leaves his family. That didn’t happen to me. That was inspired by a drunk night.

How did living in different countries influence you? Also, name some influential musicians.

I grew up in London and moved to Canada when I was 18. My mom is Canadian; she always liked country music. My mom’s an influence. Everyone’s an influence: my friends, and Ray Charles, Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Shawn Mullins, lots of people. I listen to Al Green, Marvin Gaye.

You’re friends with “Twilight” actor Robert Pattinson. Describe your friendship, and your collaboration.

We were friends since I was 12. It’s normal. Close. Happy. I wrote something with him, which ended up going into the movie, which was good. It’s not a different process, really. Someone else is just there with you.

I have a different version. He has his version, “Never Think.” I have mine, “Too Far Gone.” It’s very different. It doesn’t even sound like the same song. I think he was filming, and played some open mics. The director heard. He played some songs and the director said, “Would you like to record for the movie?” He said, “Yes.” And I got a phone call, the one we wrote was gonna be in it.

What inspired the lyrics?

It’s about leaving a girl. It’s about how good she has it but doesn’t realize. She mistreats me because she’s an idiot. It’s very personal. I feel it every time. (laughs) I know how to perform it without feeling it, too. I can do it with the same emotion, if that makes sense.

How different are your fans from different countries?

What I’ve noticed about the Philippines, for example, is everyone is extremely respectful. They listen. I never really see too many people talking through the set. The people that came to sit down and listen, everyone is listening. In North America, it’s not always the case. It depends. If I’m playing a small, intimate show, it’s quiet. If it’s a big show, like my last one in Vancouver, it’s noisy. It didn’t matter because I was even noisier.

How crazy does it get?

The last time I did a coffee house, I tried to set up a secret Twitter show. It didn’t go so well. Maybe 85 people turned up, which was really good. I gave clues and announced it on the day. It was still a great turnout, but, I don’t know, what’s the best way to explain it? People aren’t as respectful, and don’t treat me as much of a human as they used to. They’re a bit grabby. I’m not Steven Tyler up there, but “I want a picture, I want an autograph, sing this song!”

Describe a typical set.

If it’s my full show, I’d probably play an hour and a half with my band. If it’s just me, it’s from 45 minutes to an hour and a half. I play songs from my album; I throw in one or two random covers, like “No Diggity,” or things that shouldn’t be coming out of my mouth. I do a country song and I make it really country. I go through a journey; I sometimes tell stories. I make the set work within a story.

Name three songs that had a big impact on you.

“Many Rivers To Cross,” by Jimmy Cliff. “Don’t Think Twice, It’s All Right,” Bob Dylan. And “Bump N’ Grind,” R. Kelly.

Who do you want to work with?

The Avett Brothers, they’re really cool. Regina Spektor. Marcus Foster.

How has making music changed you?

It’s totally my dream. It’s great. It’s becoming a reality. Now that I’m at this point, I want to get to that point. Probably, when I’m at that point, I want to get to a further point. I just wanna work hard. I want people to like my music. I wanna inspire people.

How do you feel when people connect with your music?

I don’t feel surprised. I’m thankful, I’m happy that they do. I write it for myself and then I let go of it. I hope that someone can interpret it the way they want. When someone connects, it makes me feel like I’m doing something right. It makes me wanna strive to write a better song.

No comments: