Saturday, July 16, 2011

Crystal Reed, horror fan turned ‘Wolf’ lover

(Published July 17, PDI-Entertainment)

By Oliver M. Pulumbarit

Contributor

“I feel that art is gray – there is no black and white or right and wrong,” said American actress Crystal Reed, who stars as Allison Argent in MTV’s new supernatural drama “Teen Wolf.”

In a recent phone interview, Reed expounded on pursuing an artistic path after quitting her studies at Detroit’s Wayne State University. “I auditioned for the prestigious BFA conservatory program,” she said. “They were very strict about the methods of acting, very particular about how we do things and I started questioning whether or not it was the right place for me, and whether or not [one] truly needed a degree to be an artist.”

Reed moved to Chicago, where she pursued theater and improv opportunities, and eventually landed roles in “CSI” and “The Hard Times of RJ Berger.” She appeared last year in the sci-fi flick, “Skyline,” and will be seen in the coming comedy, “Crazy, Stupid Love.”

She describes the re-imagined “Teen Wolf,” loosely based on the 1985 film that starred Michael J. Fox, as “a thrill ride.”

How is the new “Teen Wolf” different from the original film?

I did watch the original before I knew I was even part of the new show. I love it! I think it’s great. But I think the major difference is that our show is really scary, and the original was quite funny. In the original, when Scott turns into a werewolf, everybody claps for him on the basketball court. But in our show, Scott (Tyler Posey) is hiding the fact that he’s a werewolf. Also, the center of our show is Allison and Scott’s relationship, and everything really revolves around that.

Were you a monster/horror genre fan before this?

I’m a huge fan! My favorite scary movie is “Rosemary’s Baby.” I think Mia Farrow is incredible. I watch it over and over. But growing up, I would always watch “Tales From the Crypt.” I was never allowed to, but I would watch that, and “Child’s Play.”

How is “Teen Wolf” different from shows with werewolves like “True Blood” and “Vampire Diaries”?

I think “Teen Wolf” is in a category of its own. I’m a huge “True Blood” fan and I think it’s incredible. Alan Ball is a genius, the acting is phenomenal and the show has nudity. If we were to compare, I think the biggest difference is that “Teen Wolf” is funny and it still feels like it’s original. Jeff Davis, the creator, really wrote the characters in a way that they seem authentic, especially the relationships, the friendships. You just believe them. It feels like these kids are really going through these things. It’s funny, scary and sexy, and those things set it apart from those shows.

Why do you think werewolves are popular nowadays?

I think it’s popular because the idea that something so bad could possibly have a good side to it – you don’t really know what you’re getting yourself into. People want to explore stuff like that!

“Teen Wolf” premieres July 17, 9:00 on AXN Beyond.

No comments: