Monday, November 21, 2011

Press Con Confessional

I found this image above from a link posted by the Huffington Post site. I love what gay-friendly filmmaker-actor Clint Eastwood said in a recent GQ interview (or just click the image to read the unbleeped quote):

“These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don’t give a f—k about who wants to get married to anybody else. We’re making a big deal out of things we shouldn’t be making a big deal out of. They go on and on with all this bulls—t about ‘sanctity.’ Don’t give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want.”

Speaking of gay stuff, I just found out a few days ago that local actor Eddie Garcia, who’s played countless tough guys since the ‘70s, admitted to having experimented with homosexuality when he was a teenager. He revealed this during the press conference for “Praybeyt Benjamin” last September, according to reports. At the same event, his co-star, 31-year-old actor-rapper Carlos Agassi, admitted to having had a serious gay relationship when he was in his teens. That relationship, he said, made him “a better person.”

It’s cool that Carlos sort of came out through this revelation. I don’t know if he considers himself straight (or bi, or whatever) right now, but his confession should help gay teens, or even adults struggling with their sexuality, accept or appreciate their situations. Thank you, Carlos.

Somehow, I’m not as surprised to learn about Mr. Garcia’s tidbit. I don’t think of him as being brusque or boorish like his manly man roles in real life; I don’t know him or how he behaves behind the scenes. But his fuss-free disclosure just makes me accept it. So he was a horny teen who did a guy (or guys). Not a problem. I respect him for being an acting luminary, and I respect him even more now for his honesty.

2 comments:

CAZ said...

I'm both glad and surprised that Carlos was honest to even acknowledge that he was in a gay relationship.

It does make one wonder what was his purpose for even saying it. Did he have prior notice that he was going to be outed out by some press person and name-dropped as a straight actor who experimented or was he simply coming out (not being gay) in defense of being gay/bi and
adding some much needed positive reinforcement about it. ;)

OLIVER said...

Interesting point. Hmm. Whichever it was, it was handled nicely. I hope he expounds on it someday.