Friday, November 18, 2011

Same Time Zone, Better Time

I don’t travel much, so it was especially exciting when I was assigned to cover the True Blood junket in Hong Kong a few weeks ago. After nine years of writing for the paper, being offered to do an assignment outside of the country felt validating. I thank my editor for thinking of me, specifically. My companions, colleagues from other broadsheets and accommodating PR agency people, had a grand, grand time. I also thank HBO Asia for that opportunity, and the nearly 3-day vacation.

Halloween evening, we got to The Peak via the tram and had dinner. The view of the Hong Kong cityscape was incredible; I wish I had clear pictures that captured the coolness of the light show. City lights aren’t normally colorful, but in that postcard-pretty area, many buildings had moving, and even changing colored lights. When we got out of the restaurant, it was chilly and windy, like Baguio at night. Back at the Mandarin Oriental, I switched to Star World, E! and HBO when I wasn’t listening to the live-streamed ‘80s and ‘90s radio stations. My sleep was shorter than usual but it didn’t feel like it because the room was very comfortable.

Day two was busy but definitely fun. I ate and ate. Had awesome breakfast at Clipper’s, located at the mezzanine level of the hotel. We interviewed Joe Manganiello in groups about an hour later. Joe is a gigantic guy. It’s cool that he was more candid when he was answering my questions. When all three groups were done, there was a press conference for non-participants of the roundtable interviews at another room. Lunch was yummy. I had my money changed at the IFC mall, which my companions and I visited only briefly. I stayed out for a bit, rested at the park behind the Mandarin, and just looked around.

I bought snacks and Chinese comics, a.k.a manhua, from some newsstands. I don’t speak or understand the language, but the art is incredible. I discovered manhua about 15 years ago, during my first visit to Hong Kong.

I just took photos of the buildings some blocks from the hotel. I got back to my room, freshened up and rejoined the others for the dinner and HBO-organized party later that night. Joe was the event’s special guest. That was a fun night. People were drinking and some got tipsy. I ate a lot of finger foods, and drank a glass of wine and a bottle of Tru Blood, which was actually a carbonated orange drink. I went to the hotel gym at a little past 11 (I had the place to myself), and had a quick workout before deciding to go back to my room. Dipped in the heavenly hot tub while listening to retro pop stuff, before calling it a day. Man, what a relaxing night.

During our last day in HK, some of us joined a quick trip to Lantau Island, previously known for being the site of a penitentiary, but is now popular for Hong Kong Disneyland and an airport. We didn’t go to those places; we just viewed a monastery and took pictures of the Giant Buddha from that area below, and while in a cool and breezy cable car. We got back to the city less than an hour later and ate lunch with other Asian writers. We got to the airport in the afternoon. I was feeling sleepy but giddy, missing the place even before the plane took off.

2 comments:

PLDT HOME said...

I love HK! One of my greatest adventures!
Sana pala nag-abot na lang tayo para masaya! Haha!

OLIVER said...

I love HK too! Oo nga eh, sayang!