Friday, April 29, 2005

Fiction Factories

War, war stupid
But this one looked good. I attended the press screening of Kingdom of Heaven at Gateway Mall, Cubao, earlier. It was okay. I’m still absorbing it, actually. In a nutshell: Scruffy-looking Legolas didn’t shoot any arrows, unlike in Troy. But he’s a master swordsman. The costumes looked impressive. Lots of dead people. Nobody really wins.

Diced Padawans
After some amateur detective work (I asked around), I found out that the Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith print is in the country already. I will be watching it in a few weeks in an early press preview screening, fingers crossed. This reminds me, it's almost three years ago when I joined a Star Wars art contest by E! Philippines and won a pair of tickets to a special advanced screening of Episode II. Anyway, people have been raving about Episode III, including not-so-silent Kevin Smith, whose spoilerrific review can be seen here (got this from Marco’s blog). Can’t wait to see it.

I live, therefore I pimp
“A sexy yet intellectual comic book that pulls no punches.” Thank you, people of Icon magazine, for this interview, and for giving my (as Boi Bitch called it) baby a thumbs up in the current issue (available now!). And thank you, David Hontiveros, for this: “I really enjoyed Lexy. It's one of the best comics I've read from the local scene.”

Naked New Avengers
This never happens to the JLA. The Avengers were captured by old X-Men villains, who stripped them of their spandex in the latest issue. It’s a funny sequence, superheroes talking about underwear (or lack thereof). Just go read the latest issue. Brian Bendis’ work is slowly growing on me. Hope House of M isn’t anything like the disastrous Avengers Disassembled storyline from last year.

More Shadow La…er, Blacklight artwork
Check out more pages of Blacklight #1, penciled by my bud John T., here.

McPigletron played with my Galactus
He likes it.

10 comments:

OLIVER said...

Amy!!! Sige, will wait for Sin City news. There's a rumor kasi na yung censors board wants some scenes deleted/shortened, kaya matagal ipalabas.
Re: Panday, usap tayo. Tawag ako sa house mo sa Sunday.
About the Icon interview, nah, reach na reach pa rin ako. :)

rmacapobre said...

> Naked New Avengers

most interesting .. ill be on the lookout for this ..

Ri said...

Hey! When do we hear about Kingdom of Heaven? :) Icon interview? Naku babasahin ko nga... was still admiring Borgy a while ago. Hee!

OLIVER said...

Hello, Ri! Kingdom of Heaven is showing within the month. Forgot to ask when, exactly, but it should be soon.

The movie is okay. Overall, it's a typical Ridley Scott endeavor that's technically superb and visually rich. But like with some of his other films, the storytelling can get a bit overblown and somewhat uninvolving.

But watch it! :)

OLIVER said...

Max- nah, they don't really show anything, New Avengers is a PG book. :D Everything's strategically covered. Nice dialogue though. ;) But yes, superheroes have been shown (partially) naked before. Adds some kink factor I guess. It can get a bit surprising, is all.

boi_bitch said...

...young gay people need to be represented and feel accepted. They need every hero they can relate to, even in the two-dimensional world of comic books.

WORD.

hey, g'luck with that project with Alamat Comics. :)

Marc Deering said...

Kingdom of Heaven is goign to suck. Bloom needs to go aeay for awhile. :):)

OLIVER said...

Boi Bitch- Thank you! :) To add to what I said, I think the presence of good gay characters in print, TV and the movies can prove helpful and enlightening for both young gay and straight people alike.

Marc!!! Thanks for dropping by. I see that you're not a Bloom fan. The movie didn't suck... it wasn't that great, but it wasn't bad either. Kinda like an average, big-budgeted summer epic extravaganza that loses itself story-wise in typical Ridley Scott fashion.

Hey you commented below too! :)

Marc Deering said...

Bloom not bad by me. He was great as Legolas, it's just that he's being over-used in these mideval epics as the Bad-ass Dude that ALWAYS gets the girl. As for Troy, well, if I were Eric Bana's character, I'd've thrown him of the boat as soon as he showed me Helen. Dumbass movie.

I just think he's over-used. And not all that great either.

OLIVER said...

Ah, okay. You'll hate Kingdom of Heaven, then. He's a bad-ass here. And there's only one lead actress, so you know what that means. :D

Hope he does different roles after this one.