Thursday, May 26, 2005

Escapist?

Meron bang bold?
Jeffrey Jeturian’s campy Bikini Open is okay. Saw it last Saturday at Megamall. The “mockumentary” is different and smartly written, although some parts were just bogged down by awkward acting by some of the sexy stars and most of the extras. There were scenes that could’ve been shortened, too. It’s not the typical Seiko “nakaka-titi-late” or “naka-kiki-liti” sexy film; there aren't raunchy, simulated sex scenes and unabashed nudity (aww, I know). But it does make me wanna check out the filmmaker’s previous work, Bridal Shower.

Bored now
Channel-surfing has been tough lately. Saw bits of Darna… it’s NOT for me. Over at the talk-show front… god. Leno still isn’t funny. Not to be needlessly snarky, but his monologues are just… guuhhh. Over at HBO, it’s getting harder to watch Six Feet Under. It’s just going around in circles now. That’s too bad, because the first two seasons were good. I’m not too interested in any of the local or foreign reality shows. It’s still months ‘til the new Amazing Race.

But there‘ve been some interesting stuff that Solar’s ETC and Jack TV have been showing. Cartoons for adults like Stripperella, Drawn Together, and South Park re-runs are nice alternatives to the animated shows over at the cartoon channels. I’ve also been watching MTV’s nicely selected videos in the nightly show VH-1 (or, as the pretty host with the funky accent pronounces it, “Vee-itch-won”). There are good weekly shows that I really wanna check out, but I missed a bunch of episodes already. I hope to watch CSI, Alias, Arrested Development, Lost, Carnivale and Veronica Mars on DVD eventually. Also, Desperate Housewives airs tomorrow night over at Studio 23. Hope that’s good.

Leotard-y
I recently read the 6-part Wanted by Mark Millar and J.G. Jones. Man, that’s gritty, gross, crazy, unforgettable stuff. Wow. Also, Young Avengers by Allan Heinberg and Jim Cheung is finally getting interesting. The first three issues were pretty slow and bleh. I hope the Kang arc gets resolved soon. I’m an old Avengers reader, and I’ve seen quite enough of the time-traveling character. What got me curious is a new heroine that debuted with a tentative but familiar costumed identity. The letters page is also heating up with the debate on two of the teen characters’ seemingly gay orientations and relationship. Hmm...

4 comments:

rmacapobre said...

> 6ft under

what are you talking about! im glad nathan and brenda are back together. the mothers lovers obsession is both familiar and a warning (ive been known to obsess about lesser things too). i do not know where davids story is going nor pacos .. ^_^ peace and long life ..

OLIVER said...

Hi Max. Yeah, they're back together. It's about time but... somehow it feels a bit slow for me. I'm just looking forward to when they break up again, just so there's renewed tension.

Still, I like Claire's lesbian subplot, and I'm curious how that works out. I also hope Keith and David's storyline develops. I didn't expect the Keith and Celeste thing.

I like the characters (I can relate to a few of them myself), but I hope the show becomes fresh again.

I heard that Season 5 will be the last. I hope that's a good one.

Anonymous said...

the best jeffrey jeturian movie i've seen so far is TUHOG. bridal shower can't compare to it, imo.

OLIVER said...

Thanks. I heard that Tuhog is the must-see Jeturian film. But will watch them both. :)