Thursday, May 26, 2005

Stranded-on-an-Island Music

I’ve yet to own an I-pod. So I can’t relate to people with the shuffling, hundreds-of-songs-in-one-micro-gadget scenario. Yet. But here are a couple of albums (compilations and retrospectives included) I really enjoy. I’ve dozens of favorites, but will limit it to a few for now. In no particular order:

Dirty Vegas: Dirty Vegas - I like how the meshing of electronic music and Steve Smith’s vocals makes for really audible (and singable) techno. It’s easy to tune out the world on a daily basis with this energetic debut.
Lightning Seeds: Pure - The compilation features some of the band’s finest New Wave tracks. Fell in love with their songs in college, before BMFM became a jazz station.
Sarah McLachlan: Touch - I can never tire of “Vox”, the title track and “Strange World”.
Color it Red: Hand-Painted Sky – Cooky Chua and the band’s first album got me through some challenging times. Heartfelt, rocking Pinoy music.
Tori Amos: Little Earthquakes - Therapeutic. Rage and disillusionment never sounded so beautiful.
REM: Automatic for the People – This album really clicked with me. Haunting and sentimental, it flavored a period of my life perfectly. Stipe rawks.
Toad the Wet Sprocket: Fear – Glen Phillips’ voice is solid and very capable of evoking varied emotions.
10,000 Maniacs: Our Time in Eden – This is very picturesque and poetic. The Maniacs also experimented with different musical styles that complemented the vivid stories well.
Save Ferris: It Means Everything – Very bouncy and eternally sunshine-y ska music. Just yummy all throughout.
‘Til Tuesday: Coming Up Close – The retrospective collects the best of the Aimee Mann-fronted group. The songs mostly dealt with unrequited love and heartbreak. Very ‘80s, yet very relevant.
Joni Mitchell: Hits – The incomparable singer-songwriter had a nice compilation that chronicles her most popular ditties. Hippie chanteys and adult contemporary faves galore.
Cyndi Lauper: 12 Deadly Cyns – From “Time After Time” to “I Drove All Night” and beyond, the CD is an enchanting time capsule. I especially like how her different vocal ranges are featured. Fun, soothing, and even ruminative.
River Detectives: Saturday Night, Sunday Morning – One of my favorite bands that I know next to nothing about. But the album consistently delivers with folk-inspired Wave numbers.
Jars of Clay: If I Left the Zoo – I really like Dan Haseltine’s cool and calming voice. Almost makes me wanna believe in Jesus. Almost.

11 comments:

sky said...

I guess 10,000 Maniacs figures prominently in your life. Circle Dream has haunted me since Day One. Paulinho da Costa's percussions were subtly great there.

Automatic for the People, Pure, Hand-Painted Sky...can't say anything better. Smashing Pumpkins perhaps.

May kopya ka ng Little Earthquakes (gasp)! Tagal ko nang hinahanap yan.

May e-mail ka? He he. oscaralvarezjrATgmailDOTcom po. BTW, I've searched St. Swithin's Day in Bibliarch Glorietta. Wala. Di pa ako nakakapunta sa ibang shops.

Gerry Alanguilan said...

Astig talaga PURE ng Lightning Seeds. Di ako nagsasawa pakinggan.

OLIVER said...

Buddy- Yeah, ganda ng Circle Dream. It's one of the album's highlights for me.

Little Earthquakes, both cassette tape and CD. Yung tape nabili ko yun nung kakalabas lang (1992). Yung CD nung 1999, medyo laspag na kasi yung tape, heheh.

Email kita. Aha, yan pala pangalan mo. Hmmm... saan kaya may St. Swithin's...

Gerry- Oo nga eh. Andami pang kanta. :)

Vin said...

I really like Pure by the Lightning Seeds too! But I really think their best songs came out in their original incarnation as the Wild Swans.

Anonymous said...

dude, i signed up for blogspot na rin. aayusin ko in the next few days. hope ur ok!

OLIVER said...

Hi Vinnie!

I like the Wild Swans too. :) I gotta get their "Best Of" CD soon.

Cool. You like Lightning Seeds too. I'm more emotionally attached to the Seeds 'cause I like how Ian Broudie sounds like and how his Pet Shop Boys-ish voice gels with his melodic compositions.

Chase- Hello!

Why do you have to switch to Blogger? Anyway, I'm okay. Sana ikaw rin. Thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to know we basically share the same taste in music - I love THE LIGHTNING SEEDS, TORI AMOS, SARAH MCLACHLAN and of course AIMEE MANN!

Honestly I only know a few people that even know 'TIL TUESDAY! ;)

OLIVER said...

Hey Ruel!

Yeah, Aimee Mann is just so talented. I'm sure diehard New Wavers know 'Til Tuesday... that video for "Voices Carry" is unforgettable. I guess more people know her more as a solo artist. But she deserves mainstream success.

Hmmm... another Lightning Seeds fan... marami pala tayo, heheh. :)

Anonymous said...

Eep! Voices Carry - absolutely one of my favorite music videos ever! Aimee Mann's character breaking down at the end - in an opera house, no less - was shocking yet expected due to what her character endured throughout the song.

I started liking THE LIGHTNING SEEDS when I heard Pure. I also liked their Dizzy Heights album, especially the song What If... :)

OLIVER said...

Yeah, loved it when she embarrassed her boyfriend by singing our loud. :D

The Seeds have a new album... hope the stores get it. I also wanna hear some of their recent, more techno-influenced stuff. :)

OLIVER said...

Er, make that "singing ouT loud".