Monday, May 09, 2005

Time Traveler

Downpour
It’s raining heavily as I’m typing this. There’s thunder, lightning, the works. Hope it stays cool for a bit. Obscure ‘80s weather-themed songs are playing my head, like this one: “I remember the rain on our skin and his kisses hotter than the Santa Ana winds. Whispering my goodbyes, waiting for the train. I was dancing with my baby in the summer rain…” (Belinda Carlisle, Summer Rain).

Superfreebies
Benedickie and I got some nice comic books last Saturday, Free Comic Book Day. I got four from Comic Quest. Vinnie let me pick which ones I found interesting (thanks!), including Flight, Comic Festival, Star Wars, and Impact University. Also got the second issue of the always-free Tabloid Komiks (which had a dark, gripping story about a bank robbery). Got two more free comics (Ronin Hood of the Samurai, and the thick manga digest Tokyopop Sneaks) at Druid’s Keep later.

Bought Villains United # 1. DC's biggest bads form a coalition. Impressive dialogue, intriguing premise and good art (thanks for the tip, Dean!). Also got Justice League Elite # 11 (of 12), which is still consistently good. Just ignore Manitou Raven’s iffy morale-boosting speech about how the Elite is the world’s last and only hope. But it’s still worth reading. Hope it becomes an ongoing title.

The Dark Side beckons
Yaaaayyyyy!!!! Got invited to a Star Wars: Episode III preview within the week! John and I will be watching it. Just like three years ago, when I won tickets to a sneak preview of Attack of the Clones at Louie’s THX, which coincided with his birthday. As a kid who grew up on the fantasy franchise, I’m excited to see how the last piece of the puzzle fits. I read in the latest Time magazine issue (Darth Vader cover) that kiddie-favorite Jar Jar Binks appears but has no lines. Hmmm… I wonder if he gets lightsaber-whacked or Force-choked? Or just disappears in shame? Anyway, yaaayyy!!!!

Color it pink
Support ProGay Philippines’ event, the third Pink Film Festival at the Gateway Mall in Cubao from June 1 to 7. For details, or if you want to be a volunteer, please click here.

Cyberpals
To people who keep inviting me to join Friendster, I apologize for not replying right away. I will not be able to maintain an account because of various reasons at the moment. But when I do find the free time for it, I’ll let you know immediately. Thanks.

This one goes out to the ones I love
“I sometimes misunderstand. Things you say lose all since I command. We collide in a time, almost drowning. I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. Oh, I love you…”—Primal Scream, Love You

8 comments:

sky said...

Everybody hated Jar Jar Binks for reasons I still have to know. Well, everyone we hated we called Jar Jar Binks.

I love to feel the rain in the summertime. I love to feel the rain on my face.--The Alarm

Saya!

OLIVER said...

When I first saw him, I understood that it was George Lucas' way of Disney-fication. JarJar wasn't for the older fans. But I don't hate him. He really clicked with my nephew when he first watched Episode I. I'm curios, though, how the character will be written out, as Lucas is cleaning up with a huge body count. And since Episode III is supposedly the most violent part, I wonder if he (Lucas) will do the unthinkable and make many of the older fans happy with the tragic end of the wacky Gungan.

Hey, I like that song! :)

Vin said...

Hi Oliver! I'm glad you and Fero were able to make it to FCBD.
I hope you enjoyed your haul. Check out Rann-Thanagar war this week. :)

JaymsterBean said...

i don't exactly hate jar jar binks too. but hearing him speak kinda got to my nerves too after a while.

glad to hear he has no lines in EPIII. hehehe!

OLIVER said...

Vinnie- Thanks! I've read Comics Festival. Fero wants the Impact University so I'll be giving that to him. He got more free stuff from your shops. :)
Rann-Thanagar... might check that out. Art looks nice.

Jamie! Sana maganda yung movie, hehehe

rmacapobre said...

> everybody hated JarJarBinks (JJB)

i dont hate him as much as other people. he does speak ghetto and that to me is annoying ...

Reno said...

Hey Oliver! Thanks for picking up Tabloid Komiks. Hope you've enjoyed it.

Haven't seen you and John in years since our UST days (if you still remember me). Greet him a belated happy birthday for me, and hope we can meet sometime.

OLIVER said...

Hey Reno! John says thank you. :)

Yeah, I got the first two issues of Tabloid. Am curious how Dodo's story ends.

Hope to see you one of these days. Maybe when someone launches a book, or during the coming toy convention or something. Let's keep in touch! :)