Monday, June 20, 2005

Just Can’t Seem to Get Enough of…

Desperate Housewives. Love this show. I’ve seen four episodes already. It fills the void left by Sex and the City. There are four strong female protagonists too, seemingly picking up where the SATC foursome left off. The Desperate characters are suburban women who lead very interesting lives; they’re a bunch of friends whose life, love and lust experiences are unique yet familiar. I especially like ex-Melrose Place villainess Marcia Cross’ compelling turn as an obsessive-compulsive wife and mother. Very funny and charming stuff. There’s also a mystery brewing at their neighborhood, Wysteria Lane, that threatens to shatter the assorted characters' seemingly peaceful coexistence. A housewife who killed herself in the pilot is the unusual (and humorous) narrator of every episode.

The Pre-Infinite Crisis books. I like how everything pivotal happens in DC Comics titles like OMAC, Villains United, Rann-Thanagar War and Day of Vengeance. I wish they didn’t take too long to finish, but it’s an interesting and massive way to set up the sequel to the milestone Crisis on Infinite Earths, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Other DC books I’m enjoying right now are Grant Morrisson’s Zatanna and JLA’s first issue of Geoff John’s and Allan Heinberg’s run. I wish Marvel’s House of M event created as much excitement for me, but so far, the new alternate reality just reminds me of old What If stories, the post-Onslaught reboot, and Age of Apocalypse. But I’m crossing my fingers. Hope the story improves.

Justice League Unlimited. Over thirty Justice Leaguers in one show. Most of them are background characters, and the focus has mainly been on the core group and some supporting cast members, but the stories are so epic and solid that it’s created a strong continuity that’s removed from the comic books. I hope Marvel is learning from the success of this series and makes a decent Avengers cartoon soon…

Bone. I’ve recently read three trade paperbacks and several single issues, and I must say that writer-artist Jeff Smith is one talented guy. His clean, cartoony style, pacing and overall sturdy storytelling are really special.

Cutting Crew’s Everything But My Pride. Nostalgia time. What a sad but lovely song. Bought their compilation CD last week.

9 comments:

Marc Deering said...

That Galactus pic is gorgeous. LOVE Galactus stories.... :)

Desperate Housewives. Ehhh...it's ok but it's been dragging all season. I can't stand Eva Longoria's character....you'll see why.

You should get Bone: One Volume. It's the ENTIRE series in 1 book. Awesome stuff. Jeff is a great guy too. :):)

OLIVER said...

Hey Marc!

Thank you. I like how outlandish Kirby made him look and how unique his "villainy" is.

DH... oh no! I suspect that one of the girls are part of the whole mystery thing... I like Eva's character and her whole cheating scenario. But I'll wait and see how it develops. :)

I've seen that phone directory-thick Bone compilation. Will get it one day. I'm just borrowing for now. :)

OLIVER said...

Er, grammar thing... make that "one of the girls IS".

Dean said...

I'm with you on all points! I love DH and what's happening with DC - you did get the thin trade that collected the small threads of what's happening plus issues of Flash and WW, right? House of M just sucks, my man Bendis is doing so poorly it's sad. ;)

OLIVER said...

Hey Dean!
No, I wasn't able to get that. Will get a copy of that and maybe Donna Troy too. I hope the Infinte Crisis thing works out.

House of M... I really like Bendis' dialogue. But like I told Vinnie, I'm not too excited with the event because Bendis mentioned that he'll be "disassembling the Marvel Universe" and not just the Avengers this time. Ehh. But I'm still buying it. Hope the story gets better. And I'm a fan of Coipel's art. :)

DH... yeah it's very watchable. :)

rmacapobre said...

sex in the city is FAR BETTER than desperate housewives.

the women of sex were heroes, intelligent, smart, strong and opinionated (they were what women ought to be) while the housewives are .. housewives .. (they are what women ought not to be).

OLIVER said...

Well, yes, Sex and the City is a very smart and important show. It's still early to tell how DH will be remembered, but it's groundbreaking in its own way. The new characters are ex-career women who're brave enough to pursue a path that some of the SATC women have chosen themselves at the series finale, which is to start and raise their own families. It takes a different kind of courage or heroism, I think, and their lives pose different challenges altogether at that point. Let's wait and see. :)

gumby said...

I like Galactus better in John Byrne's run :)

I hated House Of M so much I had it raffled in my group's last meet. Fortunately, the person who got it didn't have it yet and was interested in reading it (it's Ben, Oliver hehehehe). Not sure if he liked it though, have to ask one of these days...

Desperate Housewives somewhat lost its mystique on me after watching the first 9 episodes. I do intend to revisit it once I find the time again. :)

OLIVER said...

Hello Ruel!

Yeah, John Byrne knows his cosmic characters. :) I like his take on magickal beings too.

Hey, everyone's watching Desperate Housewives! I gotta get me some advance episodes na nga. :)

House of M... hehehe...