Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Scarlet Hitch

I just bought a Scarlet Witch figure as part of a set of five toys. She, or it, flew off the shelves just when the new batch of Marvel Legends were delivered last week. Of course, the hoarders, as some salespeople at the toy departments call them, got their hands first on the rare female figure. But thankfully, a few days later, one of the big toy shop-chains released an assortment, sold at the regular price.

So I got it. I was unhappy with it, not because she looked strangely like comedienne Sarah Silverman (I love her). And not because the arms and torso looked anorexic. It’s because when I moved her head, the neck joint snapped. She was a headless mutant for nearly an hour! It was so freaking fragile. I had to put heavy-duty super-glue to save the poor thing. That’s a pity, Toy Biz, ‘cause it had sleeker thigh joints, as opposed to the unsightly ball joints that many of its predecessors have, and overall, it was playable enough. But, I have to add, the paint on her headgear looks sloppy. Parts of her hair were colored with the same opaque red paint. Sigh.

Anyway, Benedict and I have been in toy-hunting mode since last Saturday. Shared a pair of buy one-take one Fantastic Four movie toys. He got a Bend and Stretch Mr. Fantastic, while I got the Human Torch that yells “Flame On”. We’re on the lookout for He-Man toys now. Been waiting for the stores to sell them really cheap. They are, now. Yay.

Extra Audible
Got the CD that Gumby of Comic Brook burned for me, also last Saturday. Can’t stop playing it... they’re some of the songs from the soundtrack of my life. Thanks again, Gumby! Nice CD, this:

Prince, Sheena Easton: The Arms of Orion- Yeah, I’m a wide-eyed, teen kid again.
Robin Beck: For the Very First Time- Guilty pleasure! Power ballad-turned-softdrink ad jingle, also from my teen years.
Belouis Some: Animal Magic- “God, she’s afraid of the dark.” Lovely.
Chicane: No Ordinary Morning- Been looking for the Chicane CD forever. This song has a cool video.
Heather Nova: Heart and Shoulder- Underrated girl, Dave Hontiveros and I agreed a few years back. Really, really talented.
Ian McCulloch: Proud to Fall- One of those suave New Wave ditties I still enjoy.
Hard Rain: I Will Remember- Great extended version! Yeah!!!
Heart: All I Wanna Do (Is Make Love to You)- Oh, great song about screwing around. Heh…
Lightning Seeds: All I Want- Another different version! Broudie rules.
Aimee Mann: That's Just What You Are- Melrose Place’s end credits song. Love it.
Train: Drops of Jupiter- Reminds me of special moments. And people.
Primitive Radio Gods: Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth...- Ganda!
Susanna Hoffs: My Side of the Bed- Reminds me of good times, too.
Divinyls: I Touch Myself- Hahaha. ‘Nuff said.
The Cure: Pictures of You- Anthemic, as usual. Very nice.
Sarah McLachlan: Touch- Still sounds powerful. Angelic church choir music.
Kate Bush: Rocket Man- Ethereal cover of an Elton John song.
Don Henley: End of the Innocence- Feels more apropos now than it’s ever been to me.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Sarah Silverman is the bomb. :) If you know where to get a copy of her concert movie "Jesus Is Magic" (assuming I haven't already found a copy yet), please let me know!

OLIVER said...

I wanna get that too! She's shameless. :) Tell me if you see it ha. Thanks.