Tuesday, January 24, 2006

All Biggie

Good that I'm busy with work and other stuff again. I may panic sometimes when I feel extra-pressured by deadlines, but miraculously, I get the job done. I'm drawing again when I can, which feels liberating, especially since it's not work-related.

Watched Big Time a few hours ago... all I can say for now is, watch it when it opens this Wednesday! Cool, darkly comic heist flick. Gah, I'm speechless 'cause I'm sleepy... Anyway, thanks, Vives for the shirts and for the invites!

Also earlier, I got a DVD of Angels in America and some great-looking Rome calendars from the PR firm handling HBO and Cinemax. If you're reading this, Virtusio family, thanks for the nice gifts!

A few recent comic books I read:

All-Star Superman # 2: Awesome! Refreshing! Grand! It feels a little like Alan Moore's Supreme issues, but it's its own clever and entertaining creature.

All-New Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe A-Z # 1: Handy new trivia! A sourcebook series that will run until December. It's great that obscure characters are being featured now, like in the OHOTMU's of yesteryear.

Essential OHOTMU: Speaking of, this black and white, phone directory-thick tome compiles the first 15-issue series from the early '80s. I wasn't too happy at first with the thin newsprint stock, but it fits the whole idea of being reprinted; its texture elicits a nostalgic feel, and it makes the whole thing more affordable despite its bulk.

Madrox 1-5: Good work by Peter David. The artist, Pablo Raimondi, is also commendable.

She-Hulk: Issue 3 was great, even if there was a weird and jumpy mix of artists. Issue 4... it's a heartwarming tale, but the art is distracting. Actually, it's kadiri.

Infinite Crisis 4: Major spoilerage! Great, great issue... 3 issues na lang! I really hope that they'd somehow explain Hypertime/The Kingdom and Zero Hour here, because they're really big cosmic events that supposedly show a broader or retooled picture of the DCU. With the possibilities presented by Hypertime, they (Alex and company) could've just left the current DCU earth/reality alone. In Alex's search for the perfect earth, couldn't he have peeked into that dimension opening or whatever it is to get a place that would fit their needs? I know there's no drama in that, but I'm just curious. Obviously, there's more to Alex and SB Prime's insanity than meets the eye.

As for the SB Kon-El/-Titans versus SB Prime battle... Oh my god!!! That was really violent! I can't believe they actually showed Risk's arm getting torn off! I just checked, and noticed that IC isn't carrying the Comics Code insignia unlike JLA and other titles.

Wally and family... I dunno, their "removal" feels a bit forced. I don't believe they'll be gone forever too. But having Barry, Max and Johnny Quick appear was a nice touch.

Bludhaven! Crap!!! That was cool and shocking at the same time.

And, yeah, it was funny when SB-Kon-El quipped, "Say what? That I can't believe you're wearing your underwear that tight?"

Argh, IC kicks all kinds of ass.

I also discovered two funny "journals", Alex Luthor's and the Justice League's.

All for now. I'm tired.

2 comments:

Ian said...

I want to get the Madrox miniseries!!! where did you buy yours?

OLIVER said...

Just borrowed from a friend. But they're going for 3-for-P100 at the Filbar's sale bins already. :)