Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Brink of Deliverance

Okay, some highlights and mentionables from the past two weeks.

United They Stood

Only had about three and a half hours sleep. Went to Makati early this morning to watch United 93, a powerful film based on the hijacking of one of several airplanes during 9/11. This was the flight whose passengers fought back against their captors, after discovering the New York and Pentagon attacks. It was painful to watch the re-enactment, and it was heart-rending to see several of those doomed passengers prevent their aircraft from demolishing another American landmark. I felt queasy near the end, when all hell was breaking loose. After the movie, I just felt awful. It was way depressing.

Attack of the Baby Mallrats

Nah, this isn’t about the mice I’ve seen sneaking around in respectable establishments at huge-ass malls (I saw one in a pizza place, another in a classy theater). When I bought some figs at Toy Kingdom Makati, John was waiting near the exit, at a section displaying four-feet-tall inflatables. He enjoyed hitting down an egg-shaped one repeatedly with both palms, because it’s designed to keep getting back up right after you hit ‘em. What happened next was a blur: a toddler, aged 3 or so, ran to John and strongly slapped his thigh. The kid looked distressed and quickly ran back to his mother, who apologized for the boy’s weird behavior. We just laughed about it because we didn’t know why the kid attacked. Did he have ADD, or did he feel that it was his duty to protect the balloon, because it had a cute Mickey Mouse print on it? We’ll never know.

Anyway, been to some commercial centers the past weekends, and there seems to be a rugrat attack each time. There’s a baby in every corner. Some are tiny infants, the really young mitten-and-booties kind, inhaling polluted mall air already. Some are really cute and cuddly little critters, the ones that can’t walk yet.

Hmmm… I wanna be a parent some day.

Obsession, Addiction, Drug

Song intermission courtesy of Ann and Nancy Wilson. Just woke up days ago and it kept playing in my head. There are days when I’m just devoid of emotion, like most of my waking hours are devoted to work and building stuff. But there are times when I’m just gooey mush. Oh well. Here’s the song. Lyrics from sing365.

Will You Be There in the Morning?

Heart

I’m lying beside you, just thinking about us. Too tired to go to sleep and too much in love. I know I’m crazy but I can’t close my eyes. I’m scared you won’t be there in the morning when I rise. Will you be there?

Now, who do you dream about? Are you alone in your sleep? To who do you reach out? Oh let it be me.

Now baby, you’re my obsession, my addiction, my drug. Don’t wanna be without you when I wake up.

Will you be there in the morning? Will you be there when I want you? Will you be there when I wake up? I need you to be there in the morning.

Well, you’re so close to me, but I feel so alone. The more I touch you, the more that I want. Don’t know what to do about me loving you, but I pray to God that you feel it too.

Now baby, you’re my obsession, my addiction, my drug. So let the candle grow into a great fire of love.

Will you be there in the morning? Will you be there when I want you? Will you be there when I wake up? I need you to be there in the morning.

I wanna love you forever. Don’t want a love that’s now or never. Can’t you see you got me down on the floor? I want more, more!

Will you be there in the morning? Will you be there when I want you? Will you be there when I wake up? I need you to be there in the morning.

Life on Uranus

Last Saturday evening, Benedict dropped by to watch the DVD he borrowed, Bad Education, starring Gael Garcia Bernal (a dead ringer for Julia Roberts when he’s in drag, sometimes). He took pics of my toys again, lent me a boxful of Young Justice and Teen Titans comics, tried to solve a Rubik’s Cube, and later crashed in my bed. Will post more pics of the toys we posed when I’ve shrunk them. Here's one, for now.

These old Mulder and Scully figures are by McFarlane toys. They have very little articulation, but the likenesses are good. Bought these two years ago at a toy sale; they’re based on the X-Files movie, so they came with those discomfiting alien hybrid creatures in stasis tanks (I think). I wish they had guns, though. Mulder only has a flashlight, and Scully, a cellphone.

I miss Gillian Anderson. I hope she does something big soon.

Peeps Galore

Met a bunch of interesting people recently during paper-related work, like fellow contributing writers Paul Daza and Pepe Diokno, filmmaker Jeffrey Jeturian, and Pixar production designer Nelson Bohol (Google ‘em, folks!). Earlier today, I saw Bulletin writer Jojo Panaligan with some freebie goodie bags at a Greenbelt 3 escalator (he walked fast and was too far away to yell at, but we did wave at each other when he saw me). An hour or so after that, I saw Dean Alfar from afar this time, lighting a cigarette in front of Podium. Wanted to greet him but he was too far away, so I just texted him. Met a number of people during a property-related job today too, and during the screening at Greenbelt. Must organize names and numbers soon.

I need to finish a bunch of things. Once again, I’m super-tired. But I feel good.

4 comments:

Gerry Alanguilan said...

Bilib din ako sayo. Di ko kaya panoorin yang United 93. Kahit trailer hindi ko kayang panoorin. Parang masyadong masakit. Strange ano? Hindi naman ako Amerikano, at hindi naman ako affected directly, pero ganito ang nararamdaman ko.

OLIVER said...

Hi Gerry! Nagulat ako sa comment mo, ambilis. Ine-edit ko pa kasi itong post at bali-baliku ang pagkasulat ko sa antok. :D Pero ayos na, hehe...

Actually, yung movie, nakaka-affect talaga kasi we all witnessed it five years ago. Grabe, you'll even hate the actors portraying the terrorists... nagblur na ang reality by the time they're shown doing awful things...

rmacapobre said...

smoking weed is legal in most of europe ...

OLIVER said...

Oh. Okay.