Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Love Your Body 'Til the Morning Light

I'm playing that old Amy Stewart-Mike Francis song. My post title is a line from their '80s hit "Friends". Yep, love that song... reminds me of high school dance music, heheh... and I've been identifying with the words more, now.

Busy, busy. Just took a break from work to post and relax a bit.

Hair Today

I’ve gotten a few nice freebie caps from movie publicists in the past few years. I rarely wear them, as I only really did briefly back when I wanted to conceal the early stage of my receding hair. That was way back in the ‘90s. I don’t feel insecure about hair loss anymore; oh man, I’m at the “acceptance” stage for years already. I’ve always assumed that it's hereditary. It could be that, or I’ve testosterone overabundance, which is one of the reasons for baldness, according to some studies. It may be a combination of the two. I’m the only one experiencing it among my siblings, so I dunno for sure. One day, I’ll probably shave it a la that balding Eigenmann kid.

Back to the caps. I’ve gotten really cool-looking ones over the years, official giveaways with logos of “The Last Samurai”, “Batman Begins”, “Matrix Revolutions” and so on. There are odd ones for similarly strange films, like the “Exorcist: The Beginning” fisherman’s hat, and the hip, brown “Hills Have Eyes” cap, which has “The Lucky Ones Die First” catchphrase embroidered at the back. Scary. And, of course, there’s the white “Cheaper By the Dozen 2” one, which I’m wearing in this pic.

Hmm, I forgot to wear my old earring, now that I think about it. Anyway, my thanks for all the hats and shirts, dear, generous publicists-who-check-out-my-blog. As you can see, one such freebie looks… ummm… okay on me. Unlike the free shirts, I wouldn’t normally wear the caps, but hey, I can pretend to in my own bloggy. :)

Toyconnery

Was able to skip the horridly long line of people waiting to get in the Toycon at the Megatrade Hall last Saturday afternoon, thanks to Gumby. Benedict, who arrived earlier, was able to spot him and Sheila, and they helped get me in. We were able to go around and look for stuff we fancied, although we would’ve spent more if we had money to burn, of course. Got a cheaper-than-usual Marvel Legends Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) and Man-Thing (yeah, for those who don’t read comics, that’s actually a character, a swamp monster). There were several loose figures that were really cheap, as well as ridiculously priced, unopened Marvel Legends two-packs and Wal-Mart figures. I really hope that Playkit (the regular distributor) gets the wave and sells them at regular prices here. I’m hoping that happens soon. Collectors will just eat them up.

Agent of S-Shield

The S-Shield, or Superman’s chest symbol, can be found on his belt too in the new movie version, and some people have reacted negatively to it. For me, it’s not that big a change. But there's something that weirded me out about his shoes. The huge standee that’s been displayed at the malls and the Toycon, it has Superman levitating with Lois. If you see that again one of these days, look at Superman’s exposed sole closely: It has four S-Shields! Four!!!! Now that’s just too much. I doubt they’ll show the bottom of his feet in close up shots, but well, they better not. Bleh.

And There Came a Day Unlike Any Other

“Let these space-spawned scum know ‘tis the Avengers they have attacked with impunity! The Avengers!
--Thor, Avengers # 301

One of the pics that Benedict took last week. I put Storm in there because she’s a member in the all-ages Marvel Adventures-Avengers title, and she’s gonna be Black Panther’s wife, so it would make sense for her and T’Challa to eventually join the team during special missions. Also, there are multiple Iron Men because that’s inspired by a recent storyline where Tony Stark activated a number of armors during a fight. And the Ultimate Captain America figure, I’m pretending that’s US Agent, whose Invaders costume kind of resembles that design. I cut out two tiny white blank tape stickers to give him temple-“wings”. The gun he’s holding is Punisher’s rifle. And Mary Jane is there because she's been hanging a lot with them lately at Avengers Tower.

I need Warbird, Sentry, Ant-Man and Giant-Man from the Wal-Mart Wave, and Wasp, Luke Cage, Falcon, and the other Iron Men from the later sets. And the Young Avengers. I need money.

6 comments:

00000 said...

Hello! Im Lee..my sister found your blog when she searched for TOYCON stories.

Ive read Sex, Gods and Rock & Roll like three times hehe kaso hiniram ko lang yung copy sa friend ko. I want to buy 3 copies: 1 for me, 1 for my ex-bf who's bisexual and the 3rd one is for a yummy bisexual friend who's in another country.

Ive checked on all branches of Comic Quest at umuwi akong luhaan, wala na raw silang copy..saan po may branch ng Druid's Keep and Pride Exchange?

Also..okay lang po ba kung ia-add ko kayo sa links ko? Hehe sorry daming tanong. and I just want to let you know that i love love SG & RR and matutuwa talaga ako pag nakabili na ako ng sarili kong copy hehe. thanksies! :D

OLIVER said...

Hi there, Lee,

Thanks for dropping by. I'll re-stock sa Comic Quest eventually, but I'm still in the process of applying for official documents that relate to selling there. Sorry.

I can meet up with you one of these days, if you haven't dropped by Druid's Keep (sa Gateway Centre Magallanes), or sa Pride Exchange (the Malate sex shop), yet. Will e-mail you about this in a bit.

Yup, sure, paki-link ako. Thanks. :)

tsop said...

Oliver, you toy geek! Help me look for a decent Kyle Rayner Green Lantern. The JLA version sucks. I also feel bad for Kyle because they don't draw him well or write him well.

Also, know where I can find a Kyle Power Ring? Hehe.

OLIVER said...

Hey Paolo. Sige, will help you look for the older DC Direct version then. Toy ring... They're probably selling one, but I dunno which one, and where.

Kyle... Grant Morrison and Judd Winick have done him quite well, I think. I like Kyle... I think he's a way better character than Hal J. :)

rmacapobre said...

i remember back in highschool. and bruce willis' movie die hard came out, a classmate deliberately shaved his hair line to match bruces. i thought that wasn't necessary.

receding hairline is common. my 2 centavos. it doesnt look bad on you ..

OLIVER said...

Hey, thank you, Max. :)