Friday, September 22, 2006

And If You Can't Be Good

Brian Kinney and Michael Novotny (image from YahooTV)

I’m getting re-acquainted with the characters of Queer As Folk (US), two years after finishing the first season. I’m way late; the show stopped airing some time ago after five seasons. Well, I gotta say, Brian Kinney, played by Gale Harold, is still one of the nastiest TV bastards ever. I’m ranking him up there with other uncompromising-but-duplicitous small-screen characters that I love watching, including Amanda Woodward (Heather Locklear) of Melrose Place, Jayne (Adam Baldwin) of Firefly, Spike (James Marsters) of Buffy, Mrs. Palmer (Penny Johnson Jerald) of 24, and Andrew Van De Kamp (Shawn Pyfrom) of Desperate Housewives. He’s unique, however, even in this collection of characters I love to hate.

Brian answers to no one, and occasionally hurts people emotionally to prove his points. He’s the heartless prick; he's the kind of guy you wouldn’t hesitate to punch. I really wanted to hit his conceited mug after just a few scenes, but—this has happened a few times—he redeems himself at the last minute, sometimes proving himself the unconventional hero, even. He’s written consistently as a vain, promiscuous and unapologetic cocktease, but admittedly he’s the kind of person that you’d rather have as an ally if he were real.

Uno, Dos, Tres

Meme time, folks!

3 People Who Make Me Laugh:
1 Conan O’Brien
2 Pol Medina
3 Sarah Silverman

3 Things I Love:
1 Comic books
2 Long cold baths
3 Sex

3 Things I Hate:
1 Bigotry
2 Flood water in my shoes
3 People who abuse their kids

3 Things on My Desk:
1 Pens
2 Paper
3 CDs

3 Things I am Doing Right Now:
1 Typing
2 Editing the post
3 Thinking

3 Things I Want to Do Before I Die:
1 Continue doing many things I like
2 Raise a child well
3 Make my parents proud

3 Things I Can Do:
1 Write
2 Draw
3 Talk to people

3 Ways to Describe My Personality:
1 Removed
2 Demanding
3 Pensive

3 Things People Might Not Know About Me:
1 A talent scout wanted to get me for a TV commercial when I was a boy, but I was shy and didn’t wanna do it.
2 I like drawing on those plastic magic slate thingies displayed at toy stores.
3 I drew some Christian comics stories for a local educational magazine a few years back.

3 Things I Think You Should Listen To:
1 Your heart
2 Advice of open-minded people
3 Dar Williams’ music

3 Things I Don’t Think You Should Listen To Ever:
1 Judgmental, bigoted preaching
2 Opinions of people who look down on you
3 Lies

3 of My Absolute Favorite Foods:
1 Pizza
2 Fried Rice
3 Bodhi’s asado fake meat

3 Things I’d like to Learn:
1 How to Cook
2 A foreign language
3 The secrets of the universe

3 Beverages I Drink Regularly:
1 Coke Lite
2 Water
3 Juice

3 Shows I Watched When I Was a Child:
1 Sesame Street
2 Thundercats
3 Paul in Fantasyland

3 People I Tag to Do This Crap:
1-3 The three people who read this blog religiously. But seriously, anyone who wants to, tag yourselves.

7 comments:

jactinglim said...

I'm already tagged by Carver by this :) but I enjoyed reading yours ;)

OLIVER said...

Hey. I read yours and Carl's too. :)

Anonymous said...

man, i envy how you seem to have the time to watch all the tv shows you like -- on top of your prolific writing. :)

OLIVER said...

Aw, thanks, Gibbs. :)
TV shows, I'm able to catch up now, thanks to the magic of the net. Used to tape shows I like. VHS!

Btw, thanks for linking me up. Linked your blog last week, too. :)

rmacapobre said...

i wasnt too thrilled on watching qaf. not sure why. maybe because my favorite character who was the doctor left the show. the comic guy's boyfried in season 1? the presence of lesbians was necessary.

rmacapobre said...

un deux trois - nice!

OLIVER said...

Oh, the doctor guy. Hmm... I don't know, but he may be back insubsequent seasons.

I love them lesbos. :)

Uno dos tres... do it, too. :)