Sunday, December 24, 2006

Oi to the World and Everybody Wins

Patience of Angels

Saint Jim, Noche Buena. "He knows if you’ve been bad or good…"

Two years ago, December 23rd, the first batch of Lexy, Nance & Argus copies was dropped off and displayed at Comic Quest Megamall. Deciding to publish that was an easy one; the tough part was figuring out how to fund the thing after discovering that it might wipe out my measly savings if I pushed through with it. By November 2004, I had begun looking for a printer. I contacted almost every company listed in the old directories and soon realized that it was going to be hard finding one that I can afford, that had to be located nearby. One printer stood out, though. I appreciated that the nice old lady seemed very hands-on with her projects at the office when I visited. After explaining to her what I wanted, we went through paper stock and binding options, and found out that the total cost would be lower than what the other printing presses were asking.

But it was still too steep for me. I believed in my project, so I considered asking relatives to fund half of it, then I’d pay up bit by bit. I didn’t ask them, however. I really wasn’t comfy talking about the content of the book with them, but luckily, a good friend bailed me out by financing half the printing expenses (slowly but surely, I was able to pay him back, about five or six months later). So it was set. The printer lady was kind, and explained that she needed to get a friend—another printer--to help her, so that the project would be finished before Christmas. The two printers knew what they were doing, although there were just very specific things that I called their attention to.

It was, again, tough; I had to reject and send back several thick reams of finished pages, as some of them had obvious ink blots or other unforeseen errors. I helped correct the film-stripping mistakes (I never thought those Ad Production skills from college would one day prove handy), and later, inspect the page count and the signature arrangement. I sat down for long hours to make sure that stapled and trimmed copies didn’t lack pages. A hundred copies had been bound and finished by the evening of Dec. 22nd, and I also dropped off complimentary books for review by the next afternoon.

Two years later, I’m still grateful that people write me about the comic book. It’s very encouraging that, as something that started out as monthly 2-pagers in 2001, there were people who believed in it, who waited patiently for the actual comic book to come out all those years later. Many of the reactions were very particular about their favorite parts or characters (even psychic Jim—in the drawing above--has some fans, yay!), while others included it in their Friendster, Blogger, or MySpace profiles (sometimes alongside Bob Ong books and stuff by local comics luminaries). I’m glad that it’s gotten favorable reviews and reactions from different readers--students, authors and teachers—in blogs and in publications such as PDI, Inquirer Libre, Manila Bulletin, Cosmopolitan, Icon, and FHM.

I compile all the letters, reviews and messages in a clearbook that, I must admit, is something that I look at whenever I have lapses in confidence. Some say that the comic book has helped them recognize important things in their own lives, in their own situations. I have also made some friends because of it, and maybe, alienated others because of it, too.

But pushing through with it was a decision that I never regretted.

Turn the Other Cheek

There’s something really odd about the comic book that accompanied the Psylocke Marvel Legends action figure. The toy is wearing the sexy ninja bikini; it has the partially exposed buttcheeks, but the comic book, a reprint of Uncanny X-Men # 258 (part three of “Lady Mandarin”) has been cleaned up! Look at the original panels (above, click on it to enlarge) and the newer versions (below). I dunno, the Jim Lee art looked awesome—this was the time when he was just becoming popular—but I wonder why they chose this comic book, and had to be conservative about it. Yeah, it was a sexy-looking issue; but in the reprint, as with the panels here, Betsy and Logan’s buns have been covered up! In some pages, Psylocke’s bikini and thighs were blackened out, like she’s wearing cycling shorts. Wolvie’s once-barehipped loincloth now has a different cut, heaven knows why. Just so effing weird.

Closure At Last

Watched Eragon with John, met up briefly with Benedict and his ex, and had yummy Caramel Brownie Blizzard at Dairy Queen last Monday. Benedict dropped by the house the next evening to watch the last Six Feet Under ep, and ate fried rice on my bed.

There was an awesome montage by the end of SFU, but I think they removed the Keith-David wedding! What the?! Anyway, that montage was sad, but beautiful. Made me tear up a little when I watched it a second time, a few hours ago. Best part of the season, definitely.

So. Happy holidays! Have fun and eat well, people. Play safely.

2 comments:

tsop said...

Happy holidays, Oliver. :)

OLIVER said...

Thanks, Paolo! Enjoy the holidays, too. :)