Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Bangin' on My TV Set

I felt a little stressed with self-imposed deadlines, so I dropped everything last Sunday and just rested, read, and caught up with some TV shows. Not The Amazing Race, however. I skipped many episodes of the recently finished season. I watched about two and a half episodes total. I dunno, I didn’t have the urge to watch it at all these past few weeks. I just got bored with it. I guess I’m more interested with non-reality shows, for the time being.

I finally watched Entourage season 1, all eight episodes in one sitting. It averaged at 24 minutes an episode, so it was easy to stay with. I like that apart from the manager, the agent and the two tag-alongs, the actor played by Adrian Grenier has encounters with Hollywood weirdos, eccentrics, and people playing themselves. Funny, and sometimes, quite clever. I think they may have cut out some nudity, and bleeped off some profanity in the regular airing, but I really don’t know. I hope the Virtusios get the next season DVD set soon (wink, wink).

I’m also watching the third season of Alias already, and after six episodes, I’m beginning to miss many things, because it just doesn’t feel like the same show anymore. Season 2 was good, but once they ditched Sydney’s double agent status, things looked a little lost. But that, after a few episodes, changed with the introduction of new threats like the fake Francie, as well as the reintroduction of Sloane as the evil fugitive, and of course, Irina and Sark. However, the “two years later” jump by the season finale, while bold, feels a little like cheating. We’ll see if important flashbacks reveal the whole story in season 3.

Speaking of third seasons, the latest Desperate Housewives has been so-so, so far. There has been one episode that I really like, though, the one with the supermarket situation. After that, it’s pretty much the same show, with new mysteries that feel cloned from the debut season’s. The storylines are looping, with very few changes. Bree the freak-magnet is now with someone who’s similarly obsessive; Mike the plumber is now amnesiac and is being linked to an unsolved crime; Susan has yet to be truly happy with another man; Gabby and Carlos’ love-hate relationship has become exhausting to watch. But I’ll still follow the show. I just hope things get better.

Ah, couch potato-ing can be such a chore, sometimes.

Before the Cows Come Home

A panel from David Hontiveros’ Avatar # 1. I drew this in 1999. The script, if I remember correctly, needed a panel where aliens prep a cow to carry a superhuman being in its womb.

No comments: