Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Stars Wrapped in the Neon Glow

Busy as a bee, as the cliché goes. Assignments for the paper have piled up, but I’m working on them, and I hope to finish them all soon. I was called to help out in last Friday’s anniversary party; I had to interview a bunch of people who were performing in the show downstairs, at the office parking lot. I arrived 7:40-ish, and waited a bit for some of the performers to arrive.

Imago was fun. I actually saw most of the members in person before; I‘ve seen Aia De Leon and Zach Lucero at the Neil Gaiman event last July, while I’ve seen Tim Cacho from afar during a movie premiere in Megamall early this year. But the interview was the first time I’ve been introduced to them as a group. And it was great that I didn’t expect to be talking to them, but I knew enough of their music (I’ve been listening to them since the debut album, five years ago), so it was mostly an easy conversation. After the interview, Tim and Aia mentioned that I remind them of Jal from the band Sugarfree. Myrene Academia took a picture of me with her phone and told me she’d show the guy. Hehe. By the way, the picture above is their third and latest album. I still prefer their debut CD, but it’s still Imago, even if they sound differently, instrumentally and lyrically. A fun, talented bunch, they are.

The section’s reporter Bayani was such a trooper the whole time I was there, interviewing other celebrities in that same room where the singers and bands ate dinner, rested, and prepared for their appearances downstairs. I was able to talk to the Callalily boys too, a group of UST students in their late teens (I thought the band would be older, as I only saw their music video once before… by the way, Mark Bonifacio, if you’re reading this, sorry I didn’t recognize you kaagad!). I also interviewed Bimbo Cerrudo, who had really interesting things to say about his 20-year-old career in showbiz.

The tisoy boys from Philippine Idol also stayed in the room for a time, and had their pics taken by people at the paper. Later, Zsa Zsa Padilla arrived and sat down. She talked about ZsaZsa Zaturnnah with some people I’m not familiar with, but I don’t think it was an interview. I really didn’t pay attention because she was maybe 12 feet away from me, and I didn’t wanna eavesdrop. By that time, I had finished with work, and I was finally able to get food from the buffet. Had some crunchy fried balls with crab meat in them (I think), fried rice, pancit canton, and iced tea. Oh, and I got some Pringles-looking potato chips, which were just served on a platter at the table, and put them on my plate too. Yum. Free food.

Had an interesting time over there. Kat, Ma’ams Emmie, Rose and Cora were very accommodating. Had to leave by 10:45. Ma’am Cora wanted to have a picture taken of us before I left, so she looked for a photographer at the party. Hehe.

Fun, surreal work night.

Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong

If you’re in Glorietta and planning to watch something there but you can’t decide what it is you wanna see, go catch Little Miss Sunshine, which stars Steve Carell, Toni Collette, Greg Kinnear, and Abigail Breslin. It’s a fun, sad, hilarious and memorable family-road trip-beauty contest parody movie. It may remind you of your own relatives, or not, but it’s something that every family should see. It’s an Ayala exclusive and it’s showing starting today.

Rocking Around the Family Tree

Six Feet Under’s final episode airs on Tuesday, Dec. 19. Finally! Last week’s episode was great, but several weeks have passed since that and last night’s episode, and it’s getting tiring to see the Fishers go through different periods of depression after losing a family member. I really hope that the series ends satisfyingly.

Another unique TV family, the Bristows, has become interesting. I’m now 10 episodes into the second season of Alias, which has included Lena Olin and David Anders in its cast. Olin plays Irina Derevko, a top spy-assassin, while Anders is Julian Sark, her protégé “son” and a similarly proficient merc badass. I loved it when the Bristow clan fought together during a mission in India, and the storyline which guested Faye Dunaway. Am loving the series, so far.

5 comments:

jactinglim said...

Whee we just sang Imago's version of Bulong last night ^_^

OLIVER said...

Hehe, that's nice. :)

rmacapobre said...

im not sure if you still watch 6ft under. the last episode is going to shown at hbo tuesday night. oh btw, nate is dead ... i think im going to miss keith the most. keith is the big black man ..

rmacapobre said...

ignore my earlier comment. i havent gotten around your entry on 6ft under until after i placed it. hehehe pardonne-moi ...

OLIVER said...

Hi Max, oh that's okay. :)

Will watch that final ep on Tuesday.