Thursday, January 18, 2007

Super Soldier Seriousness

Two recent Marvel titles emphasize how no-nonsense or grim some of the company’s major superheroes have become. Well, extreme personality changes caused by wartime woes notwithstanding, reading their new adventures is still addictive. There’s more depth to many of them now, as heroism now in that universe seems extra-burdened with compromises and more unusual sacrifices.

Civil War # 6- the penultimate issue of Marvel’s big event, was just, well… okay. It’s noticeable that Steve McNiven’s art looks simpler this time, especially in the Namor-Sue Richards pages. Story-wise, a few important—and expected--things happen, and again, some splash pages, and those with big pinup pose-y panels, look squandered. You really aren’t getting a very detailed look at the War if you’re just picking this one title, and it’s a very quick read. I’m actually more excited for one of the series spinning off of this, which is Avengers: The Initiative by Dan Slott. Still, I’m hoping the final issue of CW next month will be a more substantial issue, as the future of Marvel’s heroes (and its comics titles) will finally be decided.

Real creative re-scripting of Civil War # 6 here, by the way. Heheh, nice plug by Monica Rambeau.

New Avengers: Illuminati # 1- surprisingly, it’s quite enjoyable. The secret team made up of Marvel hero leaders is shown doing something significant, finally, and this particular hidden adventure shows that Black Bolt can steal the show from this lineup of more popular powerhouses. Good unconventional superhero stuff by co-writers Bendis and Reed, and artist Cheung. Next issue will tackle the Infinity Gauntlet event, and I’m looking forward to how the retconned details fit into the bigger picture.

Celebration of Independents

Please support the Bagong Agos Film Festival, organized by the Independent Filmmakers Cooperative and Robinson’s Movieworld. The ongoing film fest is currently exhibiting the works of Jeffrey Jeturian, Lav Diaz, Khavn dela Cruz, Ditsy Carolino, Cris Pablo and many others at Robinson’s Galleria, until the 24th of January. Contact the mall cinema numbers (they’re usually listed at the movies section of major dailies) for screening schedules.

Caught a Lightweight Lightningseed

Last week, I pulled out an old picture of Tori Amos, vellum paper, water color, gel pens, correction fluid and markers, and drew this semi-caricaturish interpretation of the singer-songwriter. Just had to get it outta the way, actually. Kept seeing this in my head. Well, not exactly like this, but I had this thought that her red hair was looking all swirly and I just had to put that on paper. Details, I added to the composition bit by bit, like the tiny wings (slightly inspired by the “Glory of the 80s” video) and background stuff. Posted this also at my art blog.

Ten Torific

Anyway, some defining or picturesque lines from some of my favorite lyrics. Just a few of the many stunning or surreal songs from Miss Amos’ first four albums:

Girls you’ve got to know when it’s time to turn the page, when you’re only wet because of the rain. (“Northern Lad”)

And when my hand touches myself, I can finally rest my head. And when they say “take of his body,” I think I’ll take from mine instead. (“Icicle”)

I almost ran over an angel. He had a nice big fat cigar. (“Leather”)

I am not you senorita. I am not from your tribe. If you want inside her well, boy you better make her raspberry swirl. (“Raspberry Swirl”)

What’s so amazing about really deep thoughts? Boy, you’d best pray that I bleed real soon. How’s that thought for you? (“Silent All These Years”)

Baker, baker, can you explain, if truly his heart was made of icing? And I wonder how mine could taste. Maybe we could change his mind. (“Baker Baker”)

I’ve been looking for a savior in these dirty streets, looking for a savior beneath these dirty sheets. (“Crucify”)

Hey, they found a body. Not sure it was his but still they’re using his name. (“Past the Mission”)

So you can make me cum. That doesn’t make you Jesus. (“Precious Things”)

Now I’ve got to worry ‘cause boy, you still look pretty when you’re putting the damage on. (“Putting the Damage On”)

No comments: