Friday, May 04, 2007

However Long I Stay

Typically normal summer week. It got a little weird in some parts, but it’s great that I’m mostly able to rest and stall with work a little. Not a lot of things worth mentioning except, perhaps, how Spider-Man 3 got weird, story-wise. But I can watch it one more time. Hm, what else to blog about? Oh, oh, I gotta mention this before I forget, I just saw the video Gerry made for the Komiks Congress (which sadly, didn't show it). He interviewed me and a bunch of other indie creators for that last Feb. I’m glad to be part of it even if I only appeared briefly.

Hey, I can write about that MRT trip last Monday afternoon. The train was fricking packed, as in everyone’s personal spaces have overlapped. You’re almost intimate with people you won’t even dream of humping in a million, zillion years. But there was one person that was the exception… um, I’m shutting up ‘bout that now. Well, yeah that was really uncomfortable, and I just hated that there was this other person who was breathing--exhaling warm air--down my neck for the length of three or four train stops. Guuuhhh. I doused the back of my neck with alcohol as soon as I got out, and washed it after with liquid antibacterial soap.

Anyhoo, back home, things are pretty normal. Been listening to stuff I ripped from my own CDs, and made mix CDs with a pop-folk-rock roster. Will give them to some friends when I get the chance. Watched a new Veronica Mars ep last night (Weevil got fat! Lamb does the robot!), and I’m just stunned at some “oh my god, that’s so simple, it’s clever” moments. Been barraged with new videos, including cool ones of Dashboard Confessional and Snow Patrol, and listened to a borrowed Angels and Airwaves CD, which is way awesome. Almost every song by the ex-Blink 182-er, Tom Delonge, sounds like a pounding, multi-layered new wave anthem.

Also been feeling creative and ambitious lately, like I wanna make my own movie. But not really. I’d rather make my own comic book again, where I have absolute control over everything. Haha, I’m a damn control freak.

Whatever Words I Say

I’m also feeling like gooey mush again. At least, tonight I am. The following part of this post is kinda, sorta inspired by Alanis’ “Unsent” and Midge Ure’s “Dear God,” but it’s not really about anything heavy. It’s the stuff I’m hoping that certain people get to read some day. But this ain’t a rant post. I think I’m now at this point where I’m looking at my life from the outside, and trying to appreciate it more. Like I said, gooey mush.

- - - -
Dear Mom,

I can’t begin to imagine how occasionally hard life must be for you. Well, I guess I can speak for the other kids when I say that we’re here for you, even when it doesn’t feel like that sometimes. Oh, and thank you for that history book seven years ago.
- - - -
Leah,

Among our classmates’ works, your words in the school magazine appealed to me the most and your gift for that was one of the things that inspired me to write. I’m assuming you’re still writing, wherever you are. I'd make you a Friendster testimonial, if you're in there.
- - - -
Hey Joe,

Remember when you read my palm a few years ago? It’s creepy, but the stuff you mentioned have become true. I still believe that I hold the future in my own hands, but damn, that’s some strange talent you got.
- - - -
Dad,

Thank you for talking to me and expressing interest in my work, and also for asking me about the definitions of words that sound alien to you, from time to time. I’d like to think that by reaching out, you’re trying to say that you’re proud of me, and also, of the person I’ve become.
- - - -
Dear Cams,

Hey, glad that you’re recovering. Get some more rest, and just think about people and things that really matter. You’re not alone.
- - - -
Dear __________,

I got the Christmas card many years back, but I guess you understood why I didn’t wanna respond anymore, and maybe complicate things with your spouse. I hope you’re doing great over there, though.
- - - -
Dear __________,

Aba, nag-skinnydipping. Plano mo yatang maging Leonardo Litton. Pero sige, keep it up.
- - - -
Dear ___________,

To borrow from Jackson Browne, “Please don’t confront me with my failures/ I have not forgotten them.” And to borrow from Heather Nova, “Nothing heals me like you do.”
- - - -
Dear future Oliver,

When you read this some time from now, I hope you’re good and are happier than ever. I hope you’re dealing with people better, and that you’ve grown to treat those dearest to you more fairly. I really hope you’ve gone past your doubts and fears, and that you’re finally working on something that’s giving you a different kind of satisfaction, while still doing other things that keep you on your toes. Oh, and I’m optimistic that the sex is still great.

No comments: