Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Thank You Clarity

Strange Love
Meme time! Gibbs tagged me:
“Each player of this game starts with 6 weird things about himself or herself. People who get tagged need to write a blog entry of their own as well as state the rule clearly. In the end, you need to tag 6 people as well and list their names. Don’t forget to let them know they’ve been tagged!”
6 Weird Things About Me!
1. I do phone interviews on my bed (I work on my bed!), on my tummy, and with all my notes spread all over. It’s the comfiest way for me to do it. I’m glad that I don’t have to work elsewhere and dress up when I’m doing articles and press releases. I’m barefoot and practically just in my underwear, with the electric fan aimed, full-blast, at me. It feels good to just not shirt up while working, especially during these summer months. Sorry for the mental image. Only three or four of you can appreciate that.
2. I have a rattan chair near my bed where I put some of my assorted things, and stuff I don't know where to put. It’s been that way for about two years. See the pic below. I’d play with those action figures, pose ‘em and stuff, but after a month or two, I brush off the dust and put them in my toy shelf. Maybe the weird thing is, I don’t clean it as often as I should, so it gathers dust. There are scraps of paper and plastic on that chair that need to be organized or disposed of. Although I did arrange my things yesterday and those toys are now in the shelf.

3. The three sports I excelled in were dodgeball (grade four), softball, and arnis (college). I suck at all the other sports equally. I don’t like basketball, and it was embarrassing to even recall how awful I was at it. Hey, I was young and was trying to fit in.
4. I have low Emotional Quotient, as a friend pointed out just a few months ago. I must’ve failed a marshmallow test as a kid, or something. I open up and read comic books while I walk sometimes, or look at comic book spoilers in forums. But I’ve managed to wait for the actual issues. I still get surprised. Sometimes, I have the compulsion to complete a Marvel Legends set so soon after they hit the stores.
5. I don’t feel the need to join family reunions, or other gatherings like relative’s birthdays, or weddings. I guess that’s pretty normal for me. I’m just not into it. There are some okay people there, but I’m not really raring to go and meet up with them. That’s just how I’m wired, I guess. The standard interrogation questions, those involving marriage, financial stability, and weight gain are not my idea of a good time, either.
6. Sometimes, I obsess over people and things that are unworthy of me. Of course, that statement sounds sourgrape-y, but, yep, it’s a coping mechanism. Enough said.
Tag, Pam, Max, Carl, Jason, and Cams. You’re it!
Buffy and Brandy
Went through my Buffy and Angel CDs and watched five or so random episodes last night. Checked out some really memorable parts too. I’m reading the new Buffy comic book series, the official eighth season, so it got me into looking at the series and its spinoff again. I can still sympathize with Xander in “The Zeppo,” feel Cordy’s anguish in “The Wish,” and get entertained by post-Sunnydale Andrew’s antics in the Angel ep “Damaged.” It’s rare for a TV show to have such a large roster of likeable characters, but Buffy and Angel had those you can truly love.
After some time, I finally gave in and opened the brandy bottle I was keeping and drank while watching. I just did so directly from the bottle like the stereotypical drunk. After drinking about two inches off of the contents, I began feeling drowsy, and it kind of enhanced the agitation I was feeling just hours earlier. Slightly depressed, I decided to stop, and kept the bottle. Beer Guy advised not to drink alone, as he always does, “because alcohol ain’t good that way.” Well, just say when, Beer Guy. Anyway, the brandy tasted okay, and its warmth and somewhat fizzy quality felt like superminty mouthwash, but it kinda tasted like vodka mixed with cough syrup. The alcohol content made me feel heavy in no time at all.
Boy, Interruption
Hah, I just discovered my old student’s log book from way back. I was 14 and in my sophomore high school year. Holy jeez, I was a young overachiever! It’s strange, I’d forgotten about most of the contests I joined, but I folded pages and wrote down on those dates that I won in:
July 22- St. Benedict Poster/Slogan-making contest (2nd Place): I came up with “Ours to Fulfill is His worthy mission, for Glorification, Redemption and Salvation.” I think I won a “Footprints in the Sand” plaque, or something.
August 31- Career week: Nation Rebuilding Poster/Slogan-making contest (rank not written): “If you strive to be the best, anything’s possible. A nation will rise anew.” Wow, I don’t remember what this is at all. I must’ve drawn buildings and a sunset, haha.
November 9- Drug Abuse Prevention Poster/Slogan-making contest, Muntinlupa (1st Place): Of course, my winning entry had a young guy who was active in school and sports. It was colorful! Heehee. I remember then-Mayor Ignacio Bunye handing me my prizes, which were, if I remember correctly, P300 and a gold medal. I so wanted to give part of the money to my adviser but she politely refused, and was probably amused by my awkward expression of generosity.
November 25- “My Country” (special award, or something): I remember that this got me a nicely sculptured wire trophy, which was shaped like the line doodle of a dove. My oslo-sized drawing was exhibited at an art gallery in Paranaque whose name escapes me. Of course, the drawing had comics-inspired sensibilities, and had the usual patriotic elements collaged together--People Power I, the farmer on his kalabaw, a dove with an olive branch, the Rizal monument—all bursting forth from the Philippine flag’s rays. Naturally, the blue and red parts are in the background. Gawd.
January 31- “The Role of the BAS (Benedictine Abbey School) Family in the Peace and Progress of Our Nation” poster-making contest (rank not written): I don’t remember what this is, but I think this contest was held during the Santo Nino festivities.
February 12- “Kapatiran at Pagkakaisa: Kalayaan ang Muling Pagbangon ng Ating Bansa” poster-making contest. (1st place): Oh my god, this was held at La Salle Greenhills. I wonder where Benedict was during that time? Heheh. I think, as soon as I got home, I sheepishly told my mom, “First place.” And I remember reading a bunch of Marvel comics at the supermarket soon after.
March 24- Recognition Day (Gold Medal, overall art award for the schoolyear): After the ceremony, my parents brought me to the nearby McDonald’s outlet. Yeah, I know, but it was new then and it hasn’t sprouted into hundreds of branches yet.
The next year, I just won one award for an interschool art competition held at La Salle Alabang, and the year after that I think I won in about five school contests. I didn’t have any awards or anything in college, as I was too busy experiencing life as a horny boy.
Halos puro jugjugan lang ang nasa isip.

No comments: