Saturday, June 16, 2007

Love's Like a Needle, Every Time

Hot June night. Ants are still a-marching, even though it looks like it’s gonna be raining hard again real soon. But I’m not minding the heat that much, at least not tonight. I’m listening to old new wave music between sipping nearly frozen iced tea, and jumping around like a fool. What a weird week for semi-epiphanies, blessing-counting, and impromptu rendezvous’s. Pardon the crypticness; I’m just my own prime time TV program this week. Nothing in particular about that I’m at liberty to share, however. But I’m feeling okay.

Lust is Contagious

Speaking of TV, I’ve been thinking about how fictional people have been written to reflect reality’s unusual relationships. I dunno; love and lust and all the things in between are a puzzle to me sometimes, even when I’m no stranger to those feelings. As several showbiz people have figured in different relationship scandals recently, I just have to wonder about the traditional notions surrounding fidelity and long-term unions and their parameters. But, meh, not really interested right now in talking about what’s acceptable behavior and what’s not; besides, gossip isn’t my cuppa tea.

Still, Carrie Bradshaw illumination moment: I guess people pursue what they want, and there’s thrill in the supposedly illicit connections. Well, here are some of my fave TV hookups, breakups, complicated relationships and couples. No particular order:

1. Veronica Mars’ first season boyfriend trouble was easy to follow, as she’s torn between rich kid jerkoid Logan Echolls and rich kid weirdo Duncan Kane. She also has a chaste relationship with the hot new Italian cop (I know people who’d rather see her end up with this guy), but it was one of the show’s best moments when she unexpectedly locked lips with someone who’s almost her exact opposite in the first season. Hawt.

2. The Jenny-Tim-Marina triangle from The L Word was developed well, however predictably. When lesbian restaurateur Marina first meets the similarly well-read Jenny, they hit it off fast. Soon, they repeatedly fool around behind the back of the latter’s boyfriend, Tim. But, wait, Jenny still fancies man parts! Yep. Bisexual.

3. In Queer As Folk, among the most intriguing storylines was the breakup of the longtime lez couple Melanie and Lindsay, caused by the blonde’s unexpected attraction to an artist. A guy! I like how this was foreshadowed over a span of episodes, but the eventual tryst was still surprising.

4. Also in QAF, I especially like when college boy Justin abandoned his bedhopping soulmate Brian Kinney for a sweet and gifted violinist. The arc showed Justin’s character briefly harbor a secret for a change, and the inevitable discovery by Brian and his succeeding devious machinations to mess up the new lovers were excellent.

5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s always had addictive romance angles, but my favorite is still the Buffy-Riley-Angel confrontation back in the fourth season. I had pretty much the same “Oh my god!!!” reaction as a friend and a sibling when the Slayer’s vampire ex Angel and current soldier beau Riley first met face to face, under less than pleasant circumstances. Ah, that Buffy and her alpha male admirers. Love the way Angel mocked Riley in front of his ex: “You sleep with this guy?!” Zing.

6. The implied occasional pairing of Captain Jack Harkness and Ianto Jones (above, thanks torchwood3.co.uk), was a stunning revelation. Everyone knows that Jack shags guys, but Ianto? After his whining and mourning for his girlfriend-turned-cyborg killing machine (who nearly snuffed his fellow Torchwood agents), who’d have thought? Just a few eps later, I paraphrase:

Ianto: There are many things you can do with a stopwatch. (smiles)
Jack: I’ll send them home early. Meet me in my office in ten minutes! (smiles)

Three bisexual hookups in this list. Hmm. Hotness.

Heart of the Matter

Three songs. Love ‘em. “I Call Your Name” is by A-Ha, “As Long As It Matters” is by Gin Blossoms and last one’s “Caramel” by Suzanne Vega. Relevant at this point.

- - - - - - - - - -

I Call Your Name

We got married on a cold mid-winter’s morning. We said our lines, then kissed and it was over. Those pronouncements had such weight. I guess they made us hesitate.

When she moved her hips and swayed in my direction. I thought we could make it yet and beat the isolation. But in that gentle dark, man, we tore ourselves apart.

Through the fire and rain, through the wilderness and pain, through the losses, through the gains, on love’s roller coaster train: I call your name.

We used to laugh. Is the fire dying, babe? It hurts to ask. Let me hold you for awhile.

Through the fire and rain, through the wilderness and pain, through the losses, through the gains, on love’s roller coaster train: I call your name.

- - - - - - - - - -

As Long As It Matters

How can I find something that two can take? Without stumbling as we walk into our future’s wake. I’m like a broken record that you can play. Repeating as if it matters everything I want to say.

I’ll be all right. As long as it matters. As long as you’re here with me now.

Forget that time, it’s nothing we touch and see. All this is fine even as it crashes down on me. I’m looking around, there’s nothing that I could want. More than to tell you there’s no more than we’ve already got.

I’ll be all right. As long as it matters. As long as you’re here with me now.

Forget that our time is almost up.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Caramel

It won’t do to dream of caramel, to think of cinnamon, and long for you.

It won’t do to stir a deep desire, to fan a hidden fire that can never burn true.

I know your name. I know your skin. I know the way these things begin.

But I don’t know how I would live with myself, what I’d forgive of myself, if you don’t go.

So goodbye, sweet appetite. No single bite could satisfy,

I know your name. I know your skin. I know the way these things begin

Chicken Lover

Cocky old pic. This was taken almost two years ago, while waiting for the Narnia preview at Shang.

2 comments:

Vin said...

Your quoting of the lyrics of an obscure old A-HA song made me smile.

I liked that song. Hehehe :)

I'm glad you're doing ok Oliver.

OLIVER said...

Hello Vinnie!

Been a while. I'm doing okay, yep.

That A-Ha song, I used to dislike it, but now, I understand what it means and I'm loving it. :)