Tuesday, June 12, 2007

One Good Stretch Before Our Hibernation

Dashboard Confessional’s “Stolen” keeps playing over and over in my head for days now. Saw the video a few weeks back, and it’s getting decent rotation, which is kinda strange because the “Dusk and Summer” album’s been out for almost a year here (got it soon after it was released), and that’s many months after the initial track “Don’t Wait” began showing over the music channels. The video for “Stolen” is cute, especially the parts where two kids find out via card-reading that they’re fated to be lovers when they grow up. It’s also kinda funny when Chris Carrabba looks like he’s straining to hit the notes and his neck looks like it’s gonna pop. But I love the song and his voice. Can’t get ‘em outta my head, and my memories of the last few weeks are soundtracked heavily by them. The album’s other songs (about summer and nakedness and kissing and all the mushy metaphors) make the album something that the lovesick, lovestruck emo-types can’t afford to miss.

Saw the Fantastic Four sequel a few hours ago with lustful Popes John and Benedict. The movie feels short, and could’ve explored things more, but hmmm… I’m still processing it. There are cool parts that weren’t explained properly and there are those that were painful to see, but it’s something that you won’t take too seriously, unlike other recent superhero movies. I was hoping to see more of… oops, almost spoiled it. Despite its occasional clunkiness, it's still mostly mindless fun; if you’re just after that, it’ll probably easily work for ya.

Feeling sleepy but I’m full so I won’t crash just yet. Finished season six of 24 last Sunday. Finally. Erm, I like the previous season way better. Some spoilers, right about… now. After two years of torture in a Chinese prison, a shaken and traumatized Jack Bauer is released to his country to help out during a deadly series of attacks. He gets his groove back, of course, just before the end of the first episode. While handcuffed, he savagely kills a bad guy captor by biting down his neck! Jack’s still one mean killing machine. Well, there are new characters you’ll really hate at first but you’ll grow to love them as the story progresses, as usual. But I got bored at times, so I just fiddled with my action figures, made them strike curious poses while I watched the show. There were times I lifted weights and exercised while glued to the TV, as well as times when I really just wanted to drink beer.

But, sigh, work beckons once again. Must get some rest in a few. Tomorrow, as much as I wanna just escape and live for the moment, I gotta switch back again for a few hours and be the hardworking, no-nonsense kinda guy.

2 comments:

rmacapobre said...

yes i had the same observation about the fantastic 4 series. its
good entertainment with little substance.

i find the characters to be 1 dimensional. stereotypes. it also could mean that i completely didnt get it. hehe.

i like your word better .. "mindless"

OLIVER said...

Oh I'm not that interested in the animated series, if that's what you're talking about. The art looks weird...

The movie's mindless, yup. :D