Friday, July 06, 2007

Troubled Cure for a Troubled Mind

Vox Du Jour

Thursday was a sapping and humbling day. Hate it. Wednesday was much, much better; I was looking for a video of the Tom Waits song, “I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You” over YouTube, but I found an excellent, excellent folky rendition by a guy named Ryan Taylor Bliss instead. Am too lazy to search and link it, so look him up if you’re interested. The guy’s got a cool, calming voice; he did astounding acoustic covers of Death Cab for Cutie’s “I Will Follow You Into The Dark” and Toad the Wet Sprocket’s “Walk On The Ocean,” among other songs. Ryan Taylor Bliss! If you’re reading this after Googling your name, let me just say that you’re so damn awesome! I watched/listened to your “I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With you” performance thrice. Ohhh, that was beautiful, man.

Hulk Slash!

I enjoyed “Planet Hulk,” an arc that ran for about a year or so in The Incredible Hulk title. Writer Greg Pak and artist Carlo Pagulayan did well in giving Marvel’s raging behemoth a new direction, and the space fantasy saga redefined the Hulk as one of the most cunning, most driven comics characters in a while. Spoilers! I was surprised that in this storyline, the latest version of the Hulk is actually intelligent but brooding (in a way that’s almost similar to the grey incarnation). Exiled by the Illuminati (Iron Man, Mr. Fantastic, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt), he crash-lands far from his intended destination and soon becomes a savage gladiator. The Hulk and his fellow fighter-slaves, the Warbound, change the conflict-torn planet forever, leading to the next epic, World War Hulk.

The first issue of the miniseries was worth the wait, as the Hulk, now really, really mad, returns to Earth to make the Illuminati pay. Pak is good, as usual, but the art, this time by John Romita, Jr., isn’t that great, sadly. Still, the big moments finally happen, including Hulk’s meeting and subsequent punchathons with his exilers. And poor Avengers Tower! Wow, I can’t really say I’ll miss that bland headquarters, though.

I hope this doesn’t disappoint like Civil War, and that the ordinary joes won’t jump into the fray at the last possible second to show the Hulk the error of his ways.

Mayer of Angstville

Old song. Yep, he’s singing about me right now.

Not Myself
(John Mayer)

Suppose I said
I am on my best behavior
And there are times
I lose my worried mind

Would you want me when I’m not myself
Wait it out while I am someone else

Suppose I said
Colors change for no good reason
And words will go from poetry to prose
Would you want me when I’m not myself
Wait it out while I am someone else

And I, in time
Will come around
I always do for you

Suppose I said
You’re my saving grace

Long Live the Legion!

But which version? Actually, I still like the “Archie Legion” best, and I miss those characters a lot. But the Legion of Superheroes is still one of my fave teams ever, regardless of the zillion revamps or reincarnations.

But “The Lightning Saga,” which teamed the Pre-Crisis version of the 31st century super-group with the JSA and the JLA… well, it didn’t really show them doing much. Two members were left behind in the present after their secret mission, which successfully brought back a beloved character that was lost for over a year, I think. But questions were raised that weren’t answered within the crossover. I don’t like the lack of a satisfying explanation in the end, and that “you’ll understand in time” excuse is just annoying.

Artwise, I still can’t get into Benes’ style, which looks heavily Jim Lee-esque. I don’t like that every guy has the same body type (bulky/muscular), and that all the girls look the same (but with different hairstyles). The art doesn’t make me get into the story as much as, say, Doug Mahnke’s or Brian Hitch’s style did when they served as JLA pencillers years ago.

Jesus, Mary… Chain

Another old fave. Cool that the two vocalists were alternately “talking” to each other through the stanzas. I can so feel this song right now, and I love that the entire exchange is in simple but straightforward lines.

Sometimes Always
(Jesus and Mary Chain)

I gave you all I had
I gave you good and bad
I gave but you just threw it back

I won’t get on my knees
Don’t make me do that please
I’ve been away but now I’m back

Don’t be too sure of that
What makes you sure of that
You went away, you can’t come back

I walked away from you
I hurt you through and through
Aw honey, give me one more chance

Oh, you’re a lucky son
Lucky son of a gun
You went away
You went away
You went away but now you’re back

I got down on my knees
And then I begged you, please
I’ll always need you
Take me back

Partly Metal, Partly Real

Princess Fantalian of the Metalfairies. Click on it for a bigger image. Drew her head and hair while waiting for a friend in a mall, about two weeks ago. I finished her body when I got home. It’s green gel pen ink on half a bond-sized sheet of vellum. I also drew two other characters when I stayed home early this week. Will post ‘em at my art blog, when I feel like it. Do visit.

2 comments:

sky said...

hey.

i'll google that song. looks applicable to me.

OLIVER said...

Hey Sky. Been a while.

If you're referring to "I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love WIth You," I'll try to post that soon. :)