Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Madness in This Reason

Raindrops Falling From Heaven

Bought myself a new umbrella, since my last one’s leaking already. Before that, I had one that lasted me for over a decade, but it had to succumb to irreparable damage. It couldn’t weather the storms, anymore.

Weather’s matching my mood lately. I sometimes wish that I never got into some things and situations in the last three months but, well, if anything, I’m learning from them the hard way now. I feel glum and weak this past week or so, and I just have been staying too long in slumberland. But I’m doing my best to get back on track. Counting my blessings is hard, but it’s good that I can still recognize that they’re there.

Shtup the Press

After five years of writing for the paper, I finally have my official press ID. I could’ve asked for it sooner, but it didn’t occur to me to request for one until early this year, at the suggestion of my Entertainment editor. A fellow contributor already has one, and I was encouraged to have my own just in case people who need to verify my identity wish to see it, during formal coverages or specific assignments.

Most functions I’m sent to and attend are informal, but I want to avoid situations where people (publicists or such who invite people from the section) look at me suspiciously. There were some instances when I ask people for directions as I arrive at some event, and they scowl or hesitate from replying like I’m some gatecrashing riffraff. I’ve been asked in a demeaning tone, “Sino ka ba?” But, and this has happened more than once, whenever I mention the name of the broadsheet I’m representing, wow! Total personality switch, they suddenly become nice and cloyingly friendly!

Creeps. You can never get used to that. So anyway, I’m glad that I have one now. It’s not that required, usually, but it does make me feel a little reassured.

Follow His Bliss

Ryan Taylor Bliss’ cover of “I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You.” Way sweet.

Fool for Love

Soundtrack of my love life, at least for the past few weeks. Narrowed it down to 24. I actually started this list for a Valentine's Day post but never finished it. Besides, it's evolved a lot since then. I think I can listen to this collection all day, if I had them all, and compiled. It’s a mix of adult contemporary, alternative, and pop tunes. I can’t really compress all those songs I love into such a list, but at this moment, I’m digging these particular ones, sighing, and am reminded why love can stop, begin again, and can’t truly be measured properly:

1. Love is Strange- Everything But The Girl
“After you’ve had it, you’ll never want to quit.”

2. I Want You- Silencers
“Well, I want to paint your picture with that great look in your eyes.”

3. I Love You- Primal Scream
“Maybe our communion shall prevail.”

4. Found- The Beloved
“Your smile is like the ocean, your kiss the seven seas.”

5. Can’t Help Falling In Love- Lick the Tins
“Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?” (love this version the most 'cause it sounds innocent)

6. Show Me Heaven- Maria McKee
“I’m not denying. I’m frightened as much as you.”

7. I Need You Here- Color It Red
“Now it’s late and I feel older, having lost so much to you…”

8. Free Fallin’- Tom Petty
“I’m a bad boy, cause I don’t even miss her. I’m a bad boy for breaking her heart.”

9. The Flame- Cheap Trick
“You were the first, you’ll be the last.”

10. Endless Summer Nights- Richard Marx
“Time was all we had until the day we said goodbye.”

11. Drops of Jupiter- Train
“Did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there?”

12. As Long As It Matters- Gin Blossoms
“Forget that our time is almost up.”

13. J for Jules- ‘Til Tuesday
“Someday we’ll be happy again.”

14. Life After- Isha
“I guess you have to leave, so I can live.”

15. I Will Follow You Into The Dark- Death Cab For Cutie
“Love of mine, someday you will die, but I’ll be close behind.”

16. Strong Enough- Sheryl Crow
“Lie to me, but please don’t leave.”

17. (I Can’t Seem) To Make You Mine- The Clientele
“But the crowd pulled you away, through the rhythm and the rain.”

18. In Your Eyes- Peter Gabriel
“The light, the heat, I am complete.”

19. Last Goodbye- Jeff Buckley
“Kiss me out of desire, baby, not consolation.”

20. Am I Wrong- Love Spit Love
“Goodbye, lay the blame on luck.”

21. In Demand- Texas
"You never had our love written in your plans.”

22. Crazy- Icehouse
“You’re the one sure thing when I get lost in the game.”

23. Better Love- Londonbeat
“I was driving home, the morning after with the taste of you still on my tongue.”

24. Love On A Rooftop- Desmond Child
“Whatever happened to those endless nights, when we were happy living young and foolish lives?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the playlist...

i'm listening to it right now.

OLIVER said...

Hehe. Cool. Hope you can find "Love on a Rooftop." :)

Oh and Belated Happy Birthday, Eon!