Friday, August 24, 2007

Minutes to Memories

Partylicious

Back in the late ‘90s when I was having my Lilith Fair fixation, I discovered Luscious Jackson’s fun “Electric Honey” album, easily one of the most feelgood, playful and solid recordings I’ve ever listened to. The songs had catchy pop sensibilities, but were often infused with styles ranging from house to trance, creating varied moods and atmospheres from track to track. The band gets mysterious with the thumping “Christine,” eerie with “Fly,” quite heavy on the cheerleader-y rock ditty “Fantastic Fabulous,” funky and sultry with the picturesque “Alien Lover,” and so on. The trio made up of vocalists Jill Cunniff, Gabrielle Glaser and drummer Kate Schellenbach made this 1999 album really worth it. Here’s the cassette tape (!) cover:

I like their lyrics as much as their music. I just love the line, “’Cause abs and buns are so much fun!” from the song “Sexy Hypnotist.”

Back in the day, it’s a three-way tie between "Electric Honey," Garbage’s “Version 2.0,” and Save Ferris’ “It Means Everything” albums; they’re the most upbeat, and liveliest I listened to during that period. It felt like either you were with them, or they were singing those songs just for you. It’s amazing when art connects that way.

Happy Birthday Dicky!

Didn’t feel like sending you an e-card or whatever, so this is what I came up with. It’s a day early, but let me and the Feroverse be the first ones to greetcha. Enjoy the food and get plump; you’ll burn it off the next day.

I Remember You

Senior Prom! I cropped my date out. Or to be more exact, I cut myself out of the 8R picture. Yeah, I amuse myself by sharing old photos of me. It’s not as if I’m stuck in the past or anything; I just don’t recognize the person, or the wherefores, in most of these long-forgotten images. Here, I just know that I was 15 years young. Damn, where’d the time go?

This particular pic reminds me, though, that I need to be in business attire for a coverage assignment some time next week. Drat. But that's what the boss wants. I’m used to being shirtless and barefoot while working, so going out all yuppied up’s gonna feel odd.

Thank goodness for corporate drone siblings, who may know a thing or two about what I should wear. I need to have a picture taken of that. Or not.

No comments: