Monday, January 21, 2008

Gay Dads, Back Issues

I just read about the struggles of some twentysomething gay dads in an old issue of The Advocate that I bought at Book Sale a few days ago. It’s been a while since I read an issue, and I’m glad to have discovered it, along with four informative TV Guide back issues that sold for P5 each. The P10 Advocate mag, dated May 8, 2007, was still in near-perfect condition, and features Rebecca Romijn, who plays Ugly Betty’s transsexual character, on the cover.

One article details the stories of the aforementioned homosexual couples raising kids. I felt quite sad at the part where one young father, John Lawrimore, talked about a custody battle that turned nasty.

“The lowest point was when the lawyer used unfounded statistics about gay men sexually abusing children. It’s the worst level of hatred I’ve ever encountered.”

After solid testimonials from teachers and child care providers, the judge ruled in his favor and allowed his two young sons to stay with him. He and his partner are now raising them.

“I’d been forcing myself to be something I wasn’t,” Lawrimore said of his time with his ex-wife, the boys’ mother. “I was deathly afraid of being gay and how it would affect my sons.”

In another moving article, the cover story with Romijn, the gay-friendly actress talked about being pro-same-sex marriage (among other things):

“What’s the problem? That’s my big question. Unless people are being forced to marry, why should anybody have a problem? If two people love each other, they should have absolutely the same rights as anyone else who loves each other.”

I’m still reading the magazine. Filmmaker Q. Allan Brocka had a fun, revealing column about an African adventure, too.

The Advocate is great. I know they have a website, which I rarely visit these days, but I’d also like to own and reread copies whenever I feel like it. Must go to a nearby Book Sale soon and look for more back issues.

No comments: