Sunday, February 24, 2008

Nothing’s Gonna Change My World

I love Across the Universe. Saw it last Wednesday. I’m still gushing.

What a week. My life’s undergoing major changes. I so lack sleep. And there are things that need to be done. But I count my blessings.

Oh. Speaking of songs and love, here’s something that got published last Feb. 13 in PDI-2bU.

Soundtrack of my love life
By Oliver M. Pulumbarit
2bU! Contributor

As someone who’s perpetually lovesick, I happily respond to certain songs that precisely flavor intimate moments of my life. They’re not all traditional love ballads or sentimental sapfests, and each has a particular line about attraction or devotion that honestly speaks and appeals to me. Sometimes, the lyrics, in their entirety, speak about romance as I see it. I posted a blog entry last July, “Fool for Love,” which listed my favorite saccharinely or artistically worded pop and alternative love ditties. I narrowed them down to about two dozen.

The list has changed since then; this is more or less a definitive rundown of songs that reflect my current thoughts and mood. I’ve loved some songs since I was a teen (and they still apply amazingly to my situation), while others are new discoveries that succinctly capture words that I always wanted to say. They remind me that trough the years, I’ve learned that love can stop, begin again, and can’t truly be measured properly.

1. “Love Is Strange,” Everything But The Girl
“After you’ve had it, you’ll never want to quit.”

2. “I Want You,” Silencers
“Well, I want to paint that picture with that great look in your eyes.”

3. “Love You,” Primal Scream
“Maybe our communion shall prevail.”

4. “Found,” The Beloved
“Your smile is like the ocean, your kiss the seven seas.”

5. “Can’t Help Falling In Love,” Lick The Tins
“Shall I stay? Would it be a sin?”

6. “Show Me Heaven,” Maria McKee
“I’m not denying. I’m frightened as much as you.”

7. “I Need You Here,” Color It Red
“Now it’s late and I feel older, having lost so much to you…”

8. “Truth and Bone,” Heather Nova
“If I could only lose myself, I would lose myself in you.”

9. “The Flame,” Cheap Trick
“You were the first, you’ll be the last.”

10. “Love In Your Eyes,” Soraya
“You have raised me high above any love that I’ve ever found.”

11. “Drops of Jupiter,” Train
“Did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there?”

12. “As Long As It Matters,” Gin Blossoms
“Forget that our time is almost up.”

13. “I Hope That I Don’t Fall In Love With You,” 10,000 Maniacs
“I had a beer and now I hear you calling out for me.”

14. “Screaming Infidelities,” Dashboard Confessional
“I’m missing your bed. I never sleep.”

15. “I Will Follow You Into The Dark,” Death Cab For Cutie
“No blinding lights, or tunnels to gates of white, just our hands clasped so tight.”

16. “Strong Enough,” Sheryl Crow
“Lie to me, but please don’t leave.”

17. “If I Am,” Nine Days
“I wanna be with you forever, if tomorrow’s not too late.”

18. “In Your Eyes,” Peter Gabriel
“The light, the heat, I am complete.”

19. “Here’s To The Night,” Eve 6
“Don’t let me let you go.”

20. “Will You Be There In The Morning,” Heart
“You’re my obsession, my addiction, my drug.”

21. “In Demand,” Texas
“Now I’ve got someone who cares for me; he wrote my name in silver sands.”

22. “Crazy,” Icehouse
“You’re the one sure thing when I get lost in the game.”

23. “Better Love,” Londonbeat
“I was driving home, the morning after with the taste of you still on my tongue.”

24. “River,” Joni Mitchell
“He loved me so naughty, made me weak in the knees.”

25. “Hallelujah,” Jeff Buckley
“Remember when I moved in you, and the holy dove was moving too? Every breath we drew was Hallelujah.”

No comments: