Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Buffy’s New Chosen One

I really need to sleep, my Christmas tree’s still up on my shelf, and I need to wake up early. But I gotta post about this now. Buffy fans, you must read BTVS Season 8 # 12. Super-spoiler alert!

Our fave Slayer sleeps with someone new. And it’s not someone you might expect. Again, spoilers!

She slept with Satsu, the Slayer girl who previously woke her up from her magic coma with a “true love’s kiss.”

Joss Whedon recently spoke about it at Newsarama:

“It’s not a huge life change for Buffy. She’s not gay. Sexuality is a spectrum. Many of us have experimented in our youth – that’s what youths are for. So we knew it wasn’t going to be a giant character shift – it was just going to be nice fodder for Buffy to be going through something besides feeling lonely and disconnected and having the weight of the world on her shoulders. It was nice for something nice to happen to her, and then for her to get kind of awkward about it.”

Wish the series had better art, though. Anyway, Season 8 will run for 40 issues. And according to Whedon, Season 9 will be set years after the end of this one.

I like that Buffy still grows as a character (although some may argue that sleeping with a smitten subordinate/co-worker is a step back). It’s still about growth, change and phases, and very few fictional comics/TV characters are allowed to progress past just one popular point of their lives.

While I’m not looking forward to Buffy becoming a married person or a mother yet, I don’t mind at all if the character gets to experience those important turning points eventually. Even if she becomes a divorcee or a widow someday, there’d still be a lot of interesting stories to read about. I trust her creator to let her grow, make mistakes, learn, and change some more. And I’ll be there, enjoying it and itching to see what happens next.

No comments: